Logo

Tried to convert to HEI 1997 305

tompands

I installed a HEI in my 1977 Sea Ray 305 merc, and now the darn thing wont even start, I have spark at the plugs, Have power to all of the dist, Gas is good and flowing, have checked and rechecked all firing orders and made sure Dist dropped in right...all is good. This thing ran fine with the points Dist,I was just looking for a little more, now it won't even start. Any thoughts for the dumba$$ that couldn't leave well enough alone????

Re: Tried to convert to HEI

hey tompands someone will give you some good advice!! my guess is chieflan he is smart on dists he knows his stuff.

A long long time ago, I used to have an electronics company... Had one employee in system test who said.. "I checked everything and all is OK, but it still won't work!"... My (unappreciated) response... "obviously everything isn't OK".

Sooo... We'll take as a given for now that the gas is OK and fresh. The ignition (what you changed) needs a recheck.

Disti installation... check as follows...( with wire from coil grounded to block and fuel shut off):
a) Remove spark plug #1
b) put finger firmly over hole
c) have assistant jog the engine (or use a remote start SW) until #1 is at top dead center (TDC) on the compression stroke. You will know it is on compression stroke when you feel pressure on your finger. You can check for actual TDC with a soda straw in the plug hole to feel for the piston being at the actual top of the stroke. This usually takes a few trys. Remember, compression stroke is every other revolution of the engine in a 4 stroke. The procedure that I use personally is to jog the engine until I determine the compression stroke, then crank the engine (mark flywheel) about one and 1/2 turns, and then jog the engine checking with the soda straw for TDC. I almost always end up cranking the engine thru several cycles until I get it right...since this isn't something I have to do very often.
d) Remove distributor cap and make sure that the rotor is "pointing" directly at the post in the cap that has the wire that runs to #1. The absolute position of the distributor and the cap markings are actually irrelevant. It's a good ideal to have everything "synced" so that the makings on the cap are correct, but its not necessary. Also its not a given that if you have the wires connected to the correctly named posts and wires that it is "phased" correctly. All that matters is that the rotor's arm connects to the wire that runs to plug #1 when at TDC on the compression stroke... All else is derived from that starting point.

Last edited:

jeez they don't listen ever. I say leave it alone they never listen.

Something is wrong but what i can't understand is that you have power to the plugs.

The power to the plugs is not getting to the plugs at the RIGHT TIME.

MY RECOMMENDATION turn the dist around 180 degrees and try it again.

The way I pulled the old one out was, I brought it to #1, then pulled it out. I really don't know how it could be 180 out but it's one of the few things I haven't tried, so I will. The thing is, I was replacing exhaust manifolds at the same time I dropped the dist in. Manifolds were off, I dropped the dist in and had my kid hit the key. It fired for a split second and I had her turn it off quickly(we live in a respectable neighborhood). I said to myself, the dist is good, finish the manifolds then go back to the dist, which is what I did. When I got back to working on the dist, No Go. I've even checked for a possible pinched wire grounding out, I've checked gas, which the tank is full and getting to the carb. I have spark at the plugs, so the dist is functioning. I put a new set of plugs in , thinking, maybe they fouled out somehow. I'm a ASE cert master truck tech and no dummy,this is just one of those weird freak things where I have either overlooked something or I'm just not seeing the problem. I have checked,rechecked and triple checked power to the dist, the whole ignition system, plugs, wires, firing order,put 12 volts straight to the dist, the whole fuel system, and every thing else I can think of. If I'm getting spark and gas this thing should fire...it has both and isn't even trying to fire. It's now got my intent interest on whats the problem. It's a dam chevy engine from the 70's, I used to drag these things from junk yards and drop them in cars and trucks like nothing. When I do come across the problem. I know it's going to be something very stupid. I've talked to some very smart techs about it and they started getting into compression and valve issues...this thing ran fine prior to dist change and now it doesn't. That's all I know. I going to pull the dist in the morning and check for 180 out, but I don't think that's the problem. Thanks for all your coments and I'm still welcoming any other ideas, Tom

Hey Cheifalen, I was born and raised in Jersey, Keansburg and Eatontown to be exact....just seen you where from there....small world.

Did you leave a rag in the exhaust manifolds,or ports,somewhere,when you had the manifolds off.Now its blocking off the exhaust gases,which will stop an engine.put your hand over the carbie to see if its sucking.that will tell you if the exhaust is clear..also try putting the old points dizzy back in,and see if it goes

Remove a valve cover to get #1 on it`s compression stroke by watching the intake valve open and close
rotate motor untill timing mark reads "0"
If cap is numbered, install dist with rotor facing position #1 on cap
clockwise rotation, 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2

Good question...........

what kind of HEI???

merc, gm or aftermarket???????????

Tom nice here i love it, but when the kids grow up and move out i got to sell tax here is killing me.

Tom no one said your a dummy just a problem stumping ya for a few day's it will get sorted out.

Whats got me scratching my head is the plugs got spark, there a safety feature overlooked?

Such as a kill switch, neutral safety switch you would not be able to crank, kill switch won't let it start.

Oil switch wired in ?

See we all are looking at the dist. might not be that at all.

Do what BT said, he ain't the Docture for nothing. Don't fix it post back after all suggestion tried keep us updated we like good outcomes.

Tom
Have you tried a different module in the distributor or checked the wire continuity coming off the pickup coil to the module?
Bert

It's a aftermarket HEI...not a real expensive one either. I think I might have found the problem and it's not with the dist. After several attempts of rechecking my timing and pulling and reinstalling the dist, I feel I'm right on, cause now she pop's at least. Further checking has revealed a content of WATER in my float bowl of the carb, and even further investigation finds my daughter had the hatch cover open on a very hard rain day(trying to clean up and help get the boat ready) and never told me about the wash down my spark arresterless carb received. SO....now I need to clean the rust and water debris from the carb and probably put a kit in it. I feel confident this is my problem as I've never seen a gas engine that will fire on H2o. AND as stated earlier, this thing ran like a champ prior to Dist swap.
Chiefalen....I hear ya on the tax thing up there, I left 15 years ago, I can just amagine how it is now. Property down here is a great buy right now...Million dollar houses selling for 200-250k.....it's a buyers market, but I guess it is everywhere. Thanks for your help and comments, I'll let you know what happens after the carb rebuild, Tom

Tom i think your on to something keep us posted, wasn't the dist at all. What else got wet? Barrel plug maybe take apart see if it's all green inside ?

Just suggestions please don't get angry with the children they want to help let me tell you i have stories galore of them " Helping me "

I have a 13, 15, 18, and 22 year old.

Good luck !

Typical hei has one hot wire to run. If it isn’t timed correctly it will pop and bang. Usually 180 out. If there is no spark at the plugs then one the coil isn’t getting a constant hot 2 bad coil 3 bad module 4 bad cap and rotor.

Back