Logo

idle adjustment - in gear?

bobct

Advanced Contributor
Mark,

I was just re-reading one of my posts from a few months ago regarding carb tuning. I noticed that you and a few others suggested setting the idle speed "in gear"... is that correct?

I have mine at 750 in neutral as specified in the manual. I'm getting a fairly steady (some shake) 17.5 reading - both engines on the vac gauge, chokes are open all the way now when hot.

I'm not sure what the drop in RPM's would be setting in gear/ vs neutral but I suppose it would bump up my vac #'s a bit. I like the way it goes into gear now, I can hardly hear it which seems like it would be good for the trans. I guess there's a point where it can be too low though and not have enough pump pressure.

Can you clarify for me?

thanks
Bob

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"After the mixture is set, adjust the idle RPM. if in the slip, double check the lines and put the gear in FWD. Adjust idle screw to get spec speed. Return gear to idle and make sure the idle speed doesn't exceed max "shift" rpm (1000 rpm for most gears); if too high, lower idle speed setting"

Bob:

If you are happy with the settings, try them for a while, as long as you don't have the "rattle" when in gear with the throttles closed.

Many times, I've seen the idles adjusted too low in neutral and the resulting drop in rpms, going into gear, isn't good.

Your VAC number look pretty good. They won't get much more than 18", at idle, due to the cam's characteristics. I'd say it is time to go boating.

Mark - thanks, that's my plan! BTW, I looked in the manual and it DOES say idle speed in gear. I could swear I saw "neutral" or "out of gear" when setting the idle but maybe not.

I re-adjusted to the in gear spec yesterday. The only thing I don't like is the boat feels a lot faster coming out of the slip, at idle/in gear. I just need to get used to it otherwise I'll drop it down a little.

Bob

Bob:

I've seen the idle speed setting spec'ed both ways over the years and have found the in gear method the best, overall. As noted, some installs are different.

As far as the velocity out of the slip, you can always 'bump' the shifters in and out of gear so you can 'crawl' as slow as the wind and current will permit.

Bob, when we were using the oversized 4 blade props, that is exactly what happedn and what I did to control forward movement. The bite was bigger so hence faster

I do all of my outboards in gear and my inboards in neutral. With 4 strokes, it doesn't seem to matter that much. Two strokes can be touchy.

Jeff

Back