Logo

water in engine after new installation

jimsafishn

two summers ago, I replaced inboard in 1992 proline with chevy mercruiser 350 vortec and installed new risers and manifolds. engine ran fine all last season. after the winter break, ran fine on muffs; launched at boat ramp (saltwater) next day and wouldnt start or turn over. pulled plugs and found water in all 8 cylinders and bottom of both manifolds and both jackets were full. this is a new engine (120 hours), any help appreciated.

How steep was the ramp. Could you have had it at such an angle you flooded the exhaust system when you launched it?

thanks for the replies. 1) winterized by running on muffs and filling with marine antifreeze. 2) launched at that ramp numerous times no problem; angle not severe; i
removed risers and manifold and flapper valves look like new and open and close properly; another thread suggested the height needed to be 13-15 inches due to manufacturer flaw; im going to look into that next.

More damage has been caused by doing it that way. Did you use the 5 gal method or did you drain everything first. At this point I`d be suspect of cracked block or manifolds if you did not drain it first before adding the A/F.

Double edged sword this internet with the info posted. Never liked that method of getting the boat ready for the winter.

Draining the block, is the only sure fire method, poking the drain holes with a wire bent on the tip to make sure rust has not blocked up the hole is a must.

Air does not freeze.

Sorry for you troubles sir and i wish a speedy and inexpensive outcome for you.

Back