Logo

water inlet hose

I am having trouble removing a dry rotted hose from my alpha one drive. I cut the hose and got the half off from the upper unit side but can get it out from above the bellows.. Does any one have any special way of getting the other half out?

Do you have the bell housing off?
If you have the bell housing removed and the clamp off
just make several slits with a razor the grab and twist.

No I dont have the bell housing off..I cant get a razor knife in close enough because of lack of space.It looks like some sort of copper 90 that was being used. I dont know if it is a factory part on it or not due to the age of the boat and this being my first boat

That elbow is a factory part. I'm not sure if you can remove the hose without pulling the bellhousing. I had to remove mine to do the job.

Who wants to wager that he will have a overheating problem due to lack of water supply to the engine???????

My money is on a kinked hose!!!!

The reason I say this is I have done hundreds of bellows and hose replacements, Have the old hose clamps saved to prove it.

There is a method to the madness and if not done right it will make for trouble.

It is always best to remove the bellhousing, it is NOT neccessary to remove the bellows or shift cable.

The routing of the hose and the distance it is installed on the brass fitting/tube at the transom is very important, the way it lays in the transom when trimmed down etc etc etc.

Just sayin..............................

I agree,
Like anothers posters sig.
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time,
But always enough time to do it again?

First thing to do is buy/download/borrow a manual........

second thing to do is ask what is the best/correct way.

third is to spend money on special tools so as to do the job correct.

If unable to do any of the three then Hire someone who knows how to do it and watch closely so you can do it the next time yourself.

what may appear to be straight forward or "easy" may have hidden consequences that were not apparent when doing it yourself with no manuals or experience.

Back