Logo

I've got an alternator output issue too

film842

Contributing Member
Just like other post, I replaced my Paris-Rhone alternator with a Delco from Spider Marine.

I don't believe that I'm getting output and need a definitive test. I did, however connect my multimeter between the negative ground on the engine block and the large red connection on the new alternator. The multimeter reads about 12 volts and does not fluctuate if rpms are increased or decreased. Does that mean it's working?

I'm sure that I have the right connections made. My volt gauge on the dash has dropped to the bottom and just sits there. If I switch on something electrical, it dips just a bit. Otherwise nothing.

I've also multimetered the battery while running and it just sits at 12 volts, no movement either way, although I've been told that this means little if the battery is holding a good charge.

I'm stumped...any tests I can do short of pulling it?

When running the voltage should be around 14.2 +/- volts. It sounds like it is just running off the battery. Are you sure it is hooked up correctly? If it is, then I would remove it and have an alternator shop test it. I know sometimes at a slow idle, my alternator won't kick in, need to rev it a bit and then it will start charging.

Have a great day

Rob.

If your battery is only showing 12 v with the engine running, I would suspect the battery. Are you sure the battery is good? A battery is pretty much dead at only 11.5 volts.

The batteries are new. I think I'm going to have to pull it and have it tested. In the meantime, I'm going to put the old Paris-Rhone on and see what happens.

sounds like its not hooked up right.

Take the volt meter and connect it to the +12v output on the alternator and see if it read 14. volts. If it doesn't i suspect something is wrong with the alt. Basic hookup is the alternator runs to the starter post where it send the power back to the battery to charge it. At least thats how mine is. The Paris Rhone use the exciter wire which is what i am having issues with. If you delco uses the exciter wire then make a small jumper cable and touch the positive of the alternator to the exciter wire connector and see if it triggers. This test works for the Paris Rhone alternator as well

Take the alternator to a repair shop that repairs them, most parts stores no longer test without knowing what vehicle they came out of and in the marine world it can be tricky to match them with the car equivalent, so there computer can test it.

Last edited:
Back