Logo

Timing 2009 4.3L Vortec Mercruiser

walldiver7

Can someone tell me how to reinstall the distributor on my new (2009) 4.3L crate engine? What's the procedure for timing it after the re-install of the dist.?

I also need to find a diagram of the sparkplug wires to the individual sparkplugs.

Thanks for the help!

ANd one more thing: When I installed the new engine, I noticed that the un-used dipstick hole was plugged with a red plastic plug. My old engine has a pressed-in plug. I suppose that I should remove this and replace this with something a little more durable??

AFter these little details are completed.... I'm finally going to be back on the water! :D

Re: Timing 4.3L Vortec Mercruiser

Remove the solid plug from the old engine put it in the new one.
Before installing the dist you really should "pre-lube" the engine before you first fire it.Everything else can be found here Merc Manuals or here if it`s a Balance Shaft V-6
manual 18 GM V6 All

Tried removing the solid plug from the old engine... didn't get very far because it has almost no lip to pry from.

Thanks for the manual link. It is the balanced shaft engine.

When replacing the timing chain cover, do you have to drop the oil pan. I have a leak and need to remove and reseal. This is on a 4.3L vortec.

Best thing is to start your own post so it dosent get lost.
It is best to loosen the pan bolts and drop the pan a bit .It can be done without but you risk a leak from cutting the gasket.

Back