Logo

waterpump in alpha1 and what else

470beast

I'm about to order a new waterpump kit for my 87 baretta with a 165 hp 4 cyl alpha 1 gen 1 outdrive. Just wondering if there is anything else I should go ahead and replace that is a common wear point while I have the boat apart. I'm having small shifting problems but I think its the shift interupter switch as the boat does not die. And shifts easily after you first start it either forward or reverse and seems to get stuck in gear. Any way I was just wondering if there any other componets I should order before tearing it down. Thanks in advance for your help

I don't have a lot of $ around so I wanna gather stuff up before we go see the mech. He is going to watch over me for a discounted rate

When the boat is on muffs it shifts fine. When its in the lake after start up and engaging a gear(reverse or forward) it wont come out of gear unless you kill the engine

can be tested with the motor running by pushing the bracket with your finger to see if the motor stalls with the roller out of the V slot

Ok I wasn't sure if you could or not. I'm gonna try that today after work. If it does stall then I will go ahead and order a new shift cable, and get prepared to adjust it. If it doesn't stall I have a used switch and bracket that came with a used 470 I bought to replace my old block. Ill try that before I order the new style switch

Is it possible maybe the guy that did the motor swap didn't get the switch hooked up./grounded properly. I never had any shift issues untill he swaped the engines.

Back