Logo

shifter/throttle control problems 1992 5.0 L

lake_bigdog

I have an issue with a shifter control. I have 1992 sylvan spaceship deck boat with 5.0 ltre mercruiser. Was troubleshooting a tilt-trim issue, and tried to remove throttle-shifter handle. Neighbor assisted and removed tiny set screw from bottom of handle. Later found trim solution, but overlooked that set screw was never reinstalled. launched boat, engaged forward, and smacked dock nose-first when shift wouldn't return to neutral or reverse.
Last september someone posted an exploded diagram and tips for how to dismantle handle and make corrections, but computer crashed and have lost my saved info. I finally have the time to make the repair, but lack the expertise. The mercruiser manual I have sems to be designed strictly for beginners with little/no detail. I would appreciate any help you could offer.
Thanks,
lake_bigdog

Re: shifter/throttle control problems

Doc, I believe I hit my academic peak more than a few years ago. Tried the reinstall-establish thing, but am not grasping this as I should. I slid the control handle back on, then reinstalled the set screw, but the handle doesn't want to move back to where neutral should be. The only way to access the screw through the slot in the handle is with the handle in a forward position. When I pull back, the handle only sems to come back to an 11 oclock position. At this point, I don't see how to access the screw again.
Sorry, but this shifter is kickin my butt. Need help again. Must be a south carolina thing. thanks,
lake_bigdog

still dumbfounded by this set screw deal. gotta be a contortionist to get under the handle to see through the slot and find the set screw. ready to have fire insurance sale and buy a john boat with a 9.9.
Can I get the unit in neutral with the handle off?

Try the cables on the engine. If the prop spins in both directions it's in neutral.

ok. Worked all weekend. just going out there in a few. waiting for 100 degree heat to subside a bit.will let you know what happens. thanks again.

Back