Logo

cork carb float and newer gas

jzona

the oem carb rebuild kit for my 1966 9.5 johnson came with a cork float as was the one in the carb when I dis-assembled and found that cork float deterioating..

The oem rebuild kit float looks like it is coated/sealed with something.....Do I need to go above and beyond and seal the float with something that the new [alcohol added] gas won't break down ?

Check with whoever you got the kit from....ask them what the float was sealed with. If they used a modern plastic coating, you should be able to research its susceptability to ethanol on the www. Then you can answer your own question.

Too much sealant and you'll alter the float's bouyancy.

got the rebuild kit here, it was a oem johnson kit, without the original packing and bar code who can say how long this kit sat on the shelf to research if it has a modern ethanol coating...thanks makomark but not the answer I was hoping for

anyone else have any info ?????

Last edited:
The Tank sealer looks viable.

You have at least two other options: 1) try reposting the Q on the Johnson Outboard board, & 2) call the folks at oldoutboardmotor.com.

good luck!

If the float is redish brown it is not safe with ethanol. If it is yellowish in color it is considered safe. Some people recoat floats with model airplane dope sometimes referred to as fuel proof dope. Others have tried super glue or the tank sealer. If I can get the non ethanol fuel I will use it in my 50's and 60's motors even with the newer float.

The OEM carburetor kit containing the float....... the float is treated. Install it with no worries.

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

If the float is redish brown it is not safe with ethanol. If it is yellowish in color it is considered safe. Some people recoat floats with model airplane dope sometimes referred to as fuel proof dope. Others have tried super glue or the tank sealer. If I can get the non ethanol fuel I will use it in my 50's and 60's motors even with the newer float.

IMG_20171107_093629170_HDR.jpg IMG_20171107_093642505_HDR.jpg

Would this be an example of the yellowish coloured float you are talking about? Thanks.

Last edited:
Back