MarineEngine.com - Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
PHONE ORDERS
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Part Number Search
Shop by engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

Get instant online access to repair manuals for your Mercury / Mariner outboard. Online Manuals
MercuryMariner
Order printed Mercury / Mariner service manuals — shipped to your door! Printed Manuals
MercuryMariner
Use engine diagrams to find & order parts for your Mercury / Mariner engine. Engine Diagrams
MercuryMariner
Find parts quickly with Mercury application guides. Quick Parts Guide
MercurySierraCDI

Default Help cant find carb. parts 18 hp merc.

serial #5860404 they tell me no carb parts available.where do i go from here.

Inverary, Ontario, Canada - The Great White North Eh!

Default Re: Help cant find carb. parts 18 hp merc.

What parts do you need?

1399-8153 (carb rebuild kit), and 1399-8154 (fuel pump rebuild kit) are still a regularly stocked item at Merc.

The kit does not contain the main jet (which is discontinued), but otherwise, unless you smoked the carb body itself there is still alot of parts still available...

this carb uses 1399-8143 needle. they say n/a

Also no replacement carb. available.

Yes, that is true.

Tillotson stopped making parts a long time ago. Merc bought up what they could and as they ran out of individual pieces they started "omitting" parts from the kits.

So in this particular case you are really out of luck.

If you can't find anyone with old stock, or a recycler that maybe has an old carb you would be limited to one (kinda radical) solution.

For a touch over 300 bucks you can replace your current carb with a WMC-24 Walbro which Merc installed on the later 18 horse models after their supply of Tillotson's ran out...

Thank you. will this mount up,choke &all.

(this may sound a little convoluted, but it is a retro-fit and not a "direct swap")

The WMC-24 will retrofit to a "rope start" model and a WMC-10 has the linkages for an electric start.

There is one more piece required to convert to the (newer) carb - the carb adapter plate (the Tillotson carbs only had two bolts and the Walbro's have four), but the (Walbro) plate fit's the reed cage (exactly) - this adds about 20 bucks to the refit.

With the plate swap, however, you have to deal with re-jigging the manual choke lever.

(with manual start)

On the Tillotson models, the choke lever installed in a bracket on the carb plate. On the Walbro's the lever is supported by the carb itself and the choke knob on cowl.

If you wan't to keep your original choke lever etc in place (which would save money), you can drill/tap the original carb plate to accept the two extra carb bolts which the Walbro needs - that will not affect it's operation at all - and then fiddle with the alignment of the choke lever to make it work with the new carb.

If it's electric start and you are using a an electric (solenoid) choke activater, then you don't have this issue...

Does the adapter plate have a part number? If so, is it available? I want to adapt to the WMC-24.

Thanks again for all your help.

Jim

Yep -

The carb (WMC-24) is part number 1390-8888A16 (or 1390-8888A7 - old stock) and the plate is 41420A3 (or 41420A1 - old stock) .

The carb retails for about $320 and the plate is just on $30 bucks. However, you should be able to get a discount on both if you look around on-line...

IF you match the model year closely, a 20 or 25 hp carb will bolt right up and produce a bit more power as well. But you have to match the model year carefully, for different year models had different choke set ups and--most importantly--a different pulse hole (for the pump) in the mounting flange.

THOSE carbs are far more common on eBay.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by galamb View Post
    (this may sound a little convoluted, but it is a retro-fit and not a "direct swap")

The WMC-24 will retrofit to a "rope start" model and a WMC-10 has the linkages for an electric start.

There is one more piece required to convert to the (newer) carb - the carb adapter plate (the Tillotson carbs only had two bolts and the Walbro's have four), but the (Walbro) plate fit's the reed cage (exactly) - this adds about 20 bucks to the refit.

With the plate swap, however, you have to deal with re-jigging the manual choke lever.

(with manual start)

On the Tillotson models, the choke lever installed in a bracket on the carb plate. On the Walbro's the lever is supported by the carb itself and the choke knob on cowl.

If you wan't to keep your original choke lever etc in place (which would save money), you can drill/tap the original carb plate to accept the two extra carb bolts which the Walbro needs - that will not affect it's operation at all - and then fiddle with the alignment of the choke lever to make it work with the new carb.

If it's electric start and you are using a an electric (solenoid) choke activater, then you don't have this issue...
    Will this also work for the 1983 25 hp that uses the bc1c carb? I can't find the orginal carb anywhere.

The BC1C Tillotson was replaced with either a WMC-11 or WMC-26 (both for rope start models - the electric versions WMC-12/27 is also now discontinued).

Like the above discussion, you would also require a new plate and would have to jury rig the manual choke since the BC1C's choke was supported by the plate and the Walbo's were supported by the cowl and the carb itself...

Ok i just found a used BC1C i'm going to try it before doing the retro fit. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by jimmyzshack; 06-15-2010 at 03:57 PM.

When you get it, compare CAREFULLY the fuel pump pulse hole in both carbs. They MUST line up the same way or it won't work.

Jeff

Hi there. I am in the same situation where I need to replace a BC1C Tillotson. Whats the difference between a WMC-11 and a 26? Not sure which one I would need. Thanks for the help!

Post your location, you never know if that may help finding used parts !!

Ingleside, IL.

Just updated my profile to reflect this also. Thanks