Logo

2002 Mercury 90 hole in piston

wjefcoat

I recently purchased a boat with an 02 mercury 90. It would not run right so i cleaned the carbs, checked the compression ( it was fine on all 3), took it back to the water and it ran better but not great. I took the plugs back out and had no conpression on the bottom cylinder. When I took the motor down, the piston is burnt on the exhaust side. Any suggestions.

lean lean lean to burn a hole through the piston...was that carb maybe starved of fuel? Im not an outboard expert but thats 99.9% of the case in all other small engines which i am very good at...

Thak both of you for the info. My piston actually looks like the pic titled "Burnt Out Blow Hole" time ten. What makes it run lean, I'm a diesel mechanic so carbs, especially two-strokes are not my thing.

Thak both of you for the info. My piston actually looks like the pic titled "Burnt Out Blow Hole" time ten. What makes it run lean, I'm a diesel mechanic so carbs, especially two-strokes are not my thing.
More than likely the lower carb main jet is plugged, or the float is stuck closed (unlikely). Consider your engine as 3 separate engines on the same crank. If 1 cyl doesn't get gas it doesn't get oil, but still moves at speed. Anytime there is a lack of performance stop and fix it.

Back