Logo

omc cooling system

dimitrimfogal

Regular Contributor
hey guys , question reffering to 305 omc , since the water inlet hose from the outdrive to the engines water pump is drawing in fresh water does the hose need to be a high temp hose, and if a connector is added to said hose does it have to be high temp as well ? i saw a post about a hose adapter in the same location im reffering to and it appeared to be plastic. trying to save myself a meltdown. any advice is appreciated thanx
dimitri

G'day Dimitri,

The hose from the Leg to the Pump is carrying cold water, and therefore there is no requirement for a High Temperature, or High Pressure hose for that matter. In fact, either single, or double reinforced rubber hosing is sufficient.

Plus, if your engine cooling is an open Raw Water system, there isn't that much pressure involved. Even with a Closed System, the pressure involved will only be the limit of the Pressure Cap, which shouldn't be above 15 Lbs.

But, using Plastic fittings in a cooling system isn't advisable because if it fractures there is the possibility, and probability that you won't notice it till your feet start getting wet, or the engine siezes if the Temperature Gauge isn't being observed.

Some thinks there is no compromise on, and plastic fittings where water from the outside is concerned, I always make it a requirement that Brass, or Stainless Steel is used, and if it is a Skin Fitting, then a tap attached before the hose is attached.

Bruce.

Back