Logo

Reprime the fuel system

tbrodes

Regular Contributor
Guys,

Trying to be a good doobie I changed all my filters. I am having trouble getting the port engine to prime up, how do I do it? I have a racor and then a spin on...

Also,

The starboard engine is super loud while starting it, but sounds perfectly after startup. Just a clicking almost grinding sound. Not good, need to figure this out....

disregard the fuel priming...I got it!

As for the sound, its not nearly as bad now...more noticed it when we just had to keep turning over and over and over. I am thinking I might need a shim....do any of you have shims on your 454?

IF you mean shims on the motor mounts....yes I do. About 1 1/2" of plywood but these are not the original engines so I do not know whether or not the 350cuin originals needed this extra height.

no shims on either of my starters.....no way to add them either due to the mounting method. Maybe the drive (pinion) gear on the starter is the culprit?

wear on the teeth, insufficient spring tension, roughness on the drive collar, excessive shaft-to-housing clearance come to mind without checking the manual.

If the racket continues, may just be easier to take it to the alternator shop for a rebuild/overhaul.

wear on the teeth, insufficient spring tension, roughness on the drive collar, excessive shaft-to-housing clearance come to mind without checking the manual.

If the racket continues, may just be easier to take it to the alternator shop for a rebuild/overhaul.

good thoughts. And the first step, make sure the nuts are tight. I wouldn't let this go too long. Repairs to the starter are far easier than repairs to the ring gear.

tbrodes, I know that you got this resolved, but next filter change, try running the engine prior..... and allow it to warm up some!
It will have primed the fuel delivery system, and will at least fire up and run long enough to pull fuel through your new filter.

Works for me every time!

Back