Logo

Crusader 8.1L Starting problem

boomerfishing

One of the twin 2002 8.1L Crusaders in my Pursuit has an intermittent starting problem. When the problem does occur, I get absolutely nothing on the starboard engine when I turn the key. The port engine always starts perfectly. Typically, backing off the key and hitting it again engages the starter. Sometimes this takes a little while, but when the key does engage the starter, the motor jumps immediately to life. I have changed the ignition switch and the Starter Slave Solenoid. There is also a new battery on the engine. The engines look like new with no rust or corrosion anywhere. The problem only seems to occur when I am starting the engines many times in a short period of time.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Could be a starter relay. Spend $12.00 and pick up one at your local auto store. If it's not the problem, you have a spare - the store is never open when you really need one anyway. It takes 30 seconds to change one.

Rick,

Another compliment: I wish I could give you our boat and pick it up a few months later...ready to go ! THAT"S whay I play the lottery :)

I had a similar problem on my Gibson houseboat. Sometimes it would take several attempts before the starter would come to life. I found a ditry socket (multi-pin connector) in the engine compartment. I cleaned it and the problem has not recurred.

Chuck Hanson

Anyone know if you can acquire that socket for replacement without buying the wire harness itself? ...I think it is 10 pin and mine are probably #12 to # 10 wire

You'll still have to splice it in, if you can find it.

I'd be inclined to eliminated it on mine, when they go bad.

I thought of eliminating it...However, last July when I had to pull the engine and trans for the damper replancement, it was nice and easy to just pop it loose and unplug everything. There were still wires to pull off and set aside with labels but...10 less

I guess it is a balance between how many times you wish to remove the engines. Since I only see the need 1 more time........I may just go direct and eliminate it

Back