Logo

Bearing grease type question

film842

Contributing Member
There is a zerk/grease nipple fitting on the flywheel housing at 12:00 o:clock on my AQ131 and it seems to me that I read somewhere that it is best to grease that fitting while the engine is turning over and also a particular kind of grease was recommended.

Apparently wheel bearing grease shouldn't be used...does anyone know what kind is recommended? Thanks.

Mike, it's not that wheel bearing grease is bad, it's just that there are greases better suited for this high speed bearing application.
More importantly, would be not mixing unlike greases..... they can have a chemical reaction, and the viscosity is reduced to an oil like substance.
Learning what's in there NOW, may be the trick!

Greasing while the engine is running ensures that an exchange of "Old-for-New" occurs through the ball cage.
Dynamic -vs- Static. :)

Even our EZ Lube or Shure Lube axle spindles should be greased with the wheel off the ground and spinning!

Lube 101, chapter 5, Verse 3! :D

Mike, it's not that wheel bearing grease is bad, it's just that there are greases better suited for this high speed bearing application.
More importantly, would be not mixing unlike greases..... they can have a chemical reaction, and the viscosity is reduced to an oil like substance.
Learning what's in there NOW, may be the trick!

Greasing while the engine is running ensures that an exchange of "Old-for-New" occurs through the ball cage.
Dynamic -vs- Static. :)

Even our EZ Lube or Shure Lube axle spindles should be greased with the wheel off the ground and spinning!

Lube 101, chapter 5, Verse 3! :D

Thanks Rick. Only problem is that I have now way of recognizing what kind of grease is presently in there. So, I'll have to default to a best guess scenario and try wheel bearing grease.

I will however, do it while the motor is running.

Back