Logo

1996 115hp Johnson charging - regulator

zing

I've got a question about the charging system on a 1996 115hp Johnson ocean pro. I'm getting 14.4 volts to a meter @ 2000-3000 rpm but once I get on plane and go WOT 5200ish the charging system seems to stop. My voltage drops and if using a livewell, trim tabs etc... it starts to run down the battery. It's got a new stator as of last year and while I haven't put an ampmeter in line it seems to me the regulator might be heating up and causing my problem. Tach works just fine.

I've got a group 24 marine starting and a group 27 deep cycle on a 1-2-both switch. Almost certain the stator is a 10amp output to the batteries. Is that enough to charge the group 27?

Batteries are wired as follows - Both Positive+ terminals to the 1 2 posts of the switch, one batt to 1 the other to 2. Negative- termainals are - group27 to group24 negative and group24 to engine and ground strip for accessories. So both batteries run everything depending on which is switched on - no isolation. It's not ideal but I switch the batteries to the deep cycle when fishing, drifting.

Another charging question - When charging with a 2amp 10amp portable charger I normally disconnect all the wires from the battery terminals - PIA. If the 1-2-both switch is Off can I just hook up the charger without frying anything? How would charging the group24 be affected by the Negative post being connected to the group27 during charging?

I know I asked quite a few questions in the one post but figured it might all be related.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jim

Back