Logo

OMC Steering Ram 1989 5.0L

kirby05

I have a slow oill leak in the power steering ram cylinder (pn# 3850244) on my 1989 cobra 5 litre sterndrive SEASWIRL 195.
I removed the cylinder and had it pressure tested. The seal for the ram IS leaking.
I removed the retainer circlip but I can't seem to remove the piston assy. from the body of the ram.
Does anyone know if these units can be dis-assembled?
Can the seal(s) be replaced?
At $700+ for a new unit I would rather fix it. The piston has no pitting or scoring that I can see.
I'd appreciate any advice. Rob

Attachments

• boat cabin.jpg
    boat cabin.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 45
Re: OMC Steering Ram

I have the same problem. Volvo 290 dp / AQ271 engine. Slave cylinder leaks, don't know how to remove the piston? seems like it would pull right out. does not seem to have retaining ring?

It is next to impossable to find seals for this cylinder. The cylinder is welded together and hase to be cut apart. I machined mine apart and put in a 5/8 in shaft, that is a lot more common to find seals for. Check your shaft for wear, I missed mine at first but if you look real close you might be able to see a bit of crome wore off and possably a bit of scoring as mine had. If not you should be able to get a sharp screwdriver and dig the seals out. There is 2 in there, the outer is a wiper and the inner is the pressure seal or Doug Russell Marine has a Merc Cylinder on his Ebay site that looks identical to the OMC one. If you can't get yours fixed you could call him and get the specs to see if it will fit. ph# 508-791-4917

Fabulous opportunity to convert to hydraulic steering.
Otherwise, check the FleaBay as I see OMC stuff all the time and a steering ram is prolly a $50 buy.

Back