Logo

engine dies

30 Trojan

I have a 30 ft, 1977 Trojan F-30 with two 318 engines, the starbord engine will die when we are under way at approx 1200 rpm, speeds above that and both engines run great. I read "Chrysler 318 cant get over 2200 RPM" which has a few hints I can try with my rpm issue, port=2700 rpm and strabord=3000 rpm. I don't know what the prop pitch is or what it should be (I just bought the boat last week). My highest priority is the engine dieing when in a no wake zone.

I don't think so, I had in running in the marina and it didn't die but that was at 500/600 rpm. The engine died several times before we got underway at a higher rpm.

I drove the boat last weekend, the only time it died was at approx 1000 to 1200 rpm. Lower rpm or higher was not a problem, just under load at this speed. I didn't add power when it died

It coughs 10 or 15 sec before it dies, when it dies I push the throttle twice and it starts and runs about 300/400 ft and dies again (at 1000/1200 rpm, this was max rpm in a no wake area). When we went to 2600 rpm we drove for 20/30 min with no problems.

I called the previous owner this morning, he replaced both carb's in 2006 with rebuilt Carter's out of Jacksonville FL. (We live in Eastern Oklahoma).

I'd try shuting it right down when it dies, and pull some plugs. Wet w/gas& flooded? Dry, with no fuel smell starved? That kind of thing.

I'd also try to look right down into the carb when it dies, and see if the fuel spray stops/changes, right before it dies. (Mine would suddenly dump a slug of fuel for reasons known only to the carb, causing it to flood & stall)

Sometimes, I've even clipped a timing light to any old plug & watched that when it dies, just to see if it's the spark that went on a holliday.

Trust me: It's the crappy accelerator pump arrangement on those old Carters. Mine did that regularly--and on both engines--before I tossed them out and put Edelbrocks on.

You can improve the situation by adjusting the idle mixture rich as the motors can take, raising the idle speed to 1,000 IN GEAR, and making sure the pump stroke is at maximum (moving the accelerator pump rod to the hole nearest the carb body). If you enrichen the idle, be sure to limit your hot idling times.

Jeff

I read the suggestions this morning. I went to the lake yesterday and the boat did the samething, I drove out of my marina at 1100 rpm-no problem, I drove to another marina 15 min away at 2400 rpm and slowed to 1100 at my destination and it started dieing (about every 3 or 4 min). It starts choking up before it dies, somtimes I can get it powered up in time to keep it running but most of the time it dies.

I do have the Carter carbs, I will check the accelerator pump rod to see if it is in the hole nearest the carb body. Next I think I will put in a carb kit to see if the accelerator pump is the problem, and replace the fuel filters (2). The boat is over one hour away so it is difficult to get this done in a timely manor. Thanks for all the help !!!

Back