Logo

318 Engine rotation

Brock69

Hello

I am trying to determine the engine rotation of my twin 318's

I have no brass plates or any other info

Can the rotation be determined by the direction of the Cam gears. The teeth of the gears go in different direction. One left one right .

Thanks

yes the cam gear will tell you but i couldn't tell you what way is what, but an easy way may be checking the tachometer on the console. For me its clearly labeled if you look closely at the meter. my 79 silveron is reverse on starboard side indicated by the thac

This might be silly but if you take an automotive camshaft and hold it up the gear or teeth go to the right therefore assuming the cam is for a standard rotation. The cam that goes to the left is for a reverse rotation ??????

I believe the distributor has a bushing under it and sits higher on the counter rotating engine and the flange of the distributor on the standard rotation engine sits right on top of the block.

The reverse rotator has a special piece below the distributor housing that pushes down on the oil pump gear. That's to keep it from moving upward due to the reverse torque on the oil pump gears.

Jeff

This topic has come up quite a bit lately.

Engine rotation (Ford, GM, Chrysler, etc.) is determined by viewing from the Flywheel End.
LH.... or CCW is considered Standard Rotation.
RH.... or CW is considered Reverse Rotation.
Port side engines are normally Standard LH rotation.... whether I/B trans or V drive.

As for the Camshaft.... I don't know if the Chrysler is similar to the SBC, but the oil pumps are always rotated in the standard direction on a SBC!
This can be done via cam rotation, or a Rev gear set @ both cam and distributor!

This would mean that the ignition distributor (via a Reverse Rotation gear set), would remain turning standard unless the camshaft has been reversed via "camshaft gear drive set"....... again, this would be for a SBC......, not sure about the Chrysler 318/360.

Can anyone clarify the Chrysler oil pump/distributor rotation for me?
It would appear that the Chrysler 318 oil pump is similar to the SBC double gear type oil pump.... and that these pump in one direction only! Yes/No?
images

Last edited:
Sure. Both motors use the same oil pump, but the distributor gears on the cam are ground the other way. Hence, the crank and camshaft turn assbackwards while the rest of the parts turn "normal".

Jeff

PS: This results in an upward thrust load on the oil pump drive gear in a reverse roator, so a collar deal is added to resist it.

Back