Logo

1976 350 sterndrive?

goku2246

i have an 85 webbcraft with a 350 can i put a 1976 prealpha drive from a wellcraft 4 banger on my 350 everything looks the same on the drives but i cant find any numbers on the one i want to buy my webbcraft currently has a drive from 1978 glastron on it

Re: 1976 sterndrive?

Not really, the gear ratios are different, you can just swap the lower unit out.
V8`s are 1.50, 4`s are 1.98

ok thank you 1 more question i dont have any metal chunks in my current drive but it is very sparkley oil wise and i just changed it plus when i unscrewed my lower oil screw it hissed air i took the top off the drive after i filled it i wonder if its possible if i pushed an air bubble in their the boat ran fine the whole time any one have any opinions?

yes i filled it from the bottom but i took that top cap off afterwards i wondering if i should flush it real good and run it on the muffs for awhile what do u guys think?

your leaving the vent, check plug out when you fill it? you using a fresh plastic washer everytime you pull the plugs ? Home sheapo has them 1 buck for 10.

If you have any doughts it's easy to pressure test the drive. Some say to vacuum test the drive also.

Last edited:

The gear ratio is done with the upper gear case not the lower................

If the gear oil has a heavy metal flake then I would say you have a problem.

Most likely a bearing has started to break down.......

outdrives have lots of anti friction bearings, and lots of places for metallic wear particles to hide.
You can run/change/run the oil several times, but with no filter and gravity working against you, its always possible some metal particle will take the bearings out underway. You might get lucky for a few seasons too. always a judgement call that only the owner can make

to do it right, best to disassemble a drive and clean all the parts with solvent and rebearing/ reseal / reassemble
with shiny, metallic oil, your bearing rollers and races will be spalled and headed for failure

Run it till it quits or replace it w/a new SEI outdrive. A new SEI is the same price as a rebuilt Merc. drive.

Back