Logo

pertronix ignition conversion Mercruiser

67cuda340

Hello,
This an excellent site. I am the new owner of a 1984 Sea Swirl.
The motor is a 140hp inline four mercruiser. It needs a tune up
and I want to convert to a pertronix ignition to replace the points.
I have done this with old cars with great success.
Has anyone done this conversion?? I can not seem to find any information
if this is possible.

Thanks

Does it run good now ? You can buy a awful alot of points for the money ya about to spend on something you don't need.

I have points and the same motor you have now, runs great all i did was sand the points, 2 strokes of black fine sandpaper, a tiny bit of grease on the shaft and away you go.

It ain't broke don't fix it.

Does it run good now ? You can buy a awful alot of points for the money ya about to spend on something you don't need.

I have points and the same motor you have now, runs great all i did was sand the points, 2 strokes of black fine sandpaper, a tiny bit of grease on the shaft and away you go.

It ain't broke don't fix it.

The boat runs fine
I hear what your saying. I found a tuneup kit online for 25.00
cap,rotor,points and cond....KIS

plugs? AC mr 43t use the ac's you won't be sorry.

Also if it were my boat i would pull all the plugs, keep track what wire goes where, and put the throttle fully down and do a compression test on a warm motor.

Write the numbers down and maybe post them here.

Don't loose the numbers down the road you might need them for comparison.

What i have is a clip board with columes everything i do to anything mechanical i do such as oil changes wrench i need and oil filter numbers are on the clip board, and it sits on a nail out of the way in my garage.

Don't forget the very tiny drop of grease on the shaft of the dist.

Good luck need help just post guy's here will help you.

Points suck plain and simple. They were used because they had nothing better back then. Go with the Pertronix it will be the best money spent on your boat. Quicker starts, smoother idle, and if you get moiture under the dizzy cap no problem! I've put one on every boat I've owned.

How many american dollars that cost the kit? For something you don't need. me i carry a spare points and condenser in the boat and i never needed them. Same points for 5+ years maybe 6+ years same spare in the tool box.

Now i really want to know the plus side for changing over cause my friend has a kit he wants to install on my boat brand new. For free, and usually my mantra is if it's free it's for me.

Not in this case.

Convince me don't insult just educate. Maybe you younger guys can talk me into it.

The kit costs about 85.00 from Summit racing. I guess the whole idea
is once you do the conversion. You never have to change points again.
The points are replaced with an electronic switch. Very reliable.
Go to Pertronix.com and look there wiring diagram.
I have done this in old Plymouths and Dodges. I did the conversion
in my 67 Cuda 15 years ago. It is very simple and does not require any
external control boxs. If you do not install the kit I would kindley take it off your hands. For a small fee...;)

Friend got it the whole dist, and coil. It's his not mine till it's in my boat installed.

Been there with him told him to give it to me i'll sell it on ebay ha. He knows me.

OK Chiefalen, this is the way I see it. I had the points and condensor in my tool box as a spare and never used it. But I did have to run a piece of sand paper through it every year to get the girl fired up. This way there is nothing to do but turn the key. The spark is hotter and the engine does seem to run nicer. For the guy going the Pertronix route, make sure you get the coil that is spec. for marine use. I think it is epoxy filled for the bumpy ride. Kind of on the down side, it does take away one more thing from the old days, when we all had to know more about the vehicles we owned.

Vintage

Hey, you still on this forum? Your user name got me. I own my first car 1970 challenger. and I have a 78 sea ray with a 470 merc and am interested in converting to electronic ignition. I have a house in Redmond. Thanks JOhn

got pertronix in all my points type cars, ( 6 so far) and the boat mreceuser 3.7 4cyl. the difference in running in the boat is worth the cost ( do the coil too) srarts are instant , idles smoother shifts better and runs better at high rpm
the best money you will spend on the boat

Back