Logo

won't start- Honda BF15A

These are always fun....or should I say very frustrating.

Since it runs ok for 20 minutes or so...it is not a compression problem.

It is either no spark or no fuel.

Let's try the easiest first....you probably did...but I have to ask...did you try squeezing the fuel bulb until is was hard? Sometimes if one of the check valves are bad the fuel and be syphoned back out of the motor into the tank.

Second...can you tell if you have spark? When you are hanging out of the water it is a very hard thing to do. If you have a timing light, you can put it on one of the plug wires. If the timing light does not flash, then you have no spark.

If no spark, there are only 6 components that make the spark. The exciter coil (under the flywheel), flywheel magnets, pulser coil (on the side of the cam pulley), spark coil, CDI unit and spark plugs.

These are all connected via some sort of connector. Check all your connectors. Pull them apart and reseat them. It could just be a bad connection that gets worse when it gets the heat from the motor.

Pay particular attention to the CDI connections. The CDI is located on top of the motor and is a rectangular box a little smaller than a pack of cigarettes. It is just held on with a big rubber band. Pull it off its mounting and when you pull those connectors (there are two going to the CDI), check the cleanliness of the pins in the CDI. Take a needle nose and give each one a very small twist. This will help make the pins contact better.

You did not say if this has just started happening and if it happens all the time.

Also, what happens if you run it longer than the 20 -25 minutes? Will it keep running? Or will it stop on its own? If it stops on its own, then there could be other things going on.

Also, to get more into checking ignition, you will need a voltmeter and someone who knows how to use it...

Sorry for the rambling....

As you can see the sooner you find out if it is spark or fuel, that will eliminate a lot of things you have to check.

Since your signon is engineer, I hope it is electrical. If you do not have a Service Manual, it would be good to get one at some point. For now, you can find a wiring diagram in the back of your owner's manual. If you do not have one, you can download one for free from the Honda Website http://marine.honda.com/Owners/Manuals/models/BF15

You will need the frame serial number to get the right one.

Mike

Thanks for the quickest and detailed response. Sorry that I did not mention ,the engine works well around 20-25 minutes and then suddenly stops and difficult to start again.
I thought that the carburetor is broken but I checked (cleaned) and everything seemed good. Also I've replaced the spark plugs and ignition coil.
Any ideas. Thanks

When it stops...does it sound like it is running out of fuel? Or does it sound like someone is pushing the stop button?

You said it is difficult to start again...what do you do to get it to start?

If it does restart, how long will it run before another failure?

What did the spark plugs look like when you changed them? Black, oily, white?

A couple more questions....have you checked the venting on your fuel tank? Just loosen the cap if in doubt. It seems like a long time to run with no venting on the tank. But worth checking...

I guess that was only one question...

mike

Last edited:
The other question is:
When it "suddenly stops" is it always at idle or at speed or doesn't matter?
Does it quit in gear, out of gear or doesn't matter?
Since you have it timed and know about how long you have before it stops, have you checked the temperature of the water coming out of the pee hole after it runs for a while to see if it might be slowly overheating?
I guess that's three questions. See Mike, I made up for your last "two".

Last edited:
Thanks to all who responded.
I will try to answer all questions.

When it stops...does it sound like it is running out of fuel? - yes

You said it is difficult to start again...what do you do to get it to start? - pull the choke half way out and squeezing the fuel bulb

What did the spark plugs look like when you changed them? Black, oily, white? - black , but no bad

have you checked the venting on your fuel tank? - yes

If it does restart, how long will it run before another failure? - 4-5 minutes

When it "suddenly stops" is it always at idle or at speed or doesn't matter? - it doesn't matter

have you checked the temperature of the water coming out of the pee hole after it runs for a while to see if it might be slowly overheating? - yes, a little bit warmer, also there is little water coming out through the exhaust. Is this normal for engine bf15a?

Thanks

After doing what Sandkicker suggested...

If you find there is no or little fuel. See if you can borrow someone elses fuel tank and hose combination. You may have something going on inside the carburator, but if is more likely you have a bad bulb or delaminating hose that could be limiting your fuel feed.

You did not say if you have changed your fuel filter. If not, it may be wise to do so. It could becoming clogged as you are running.

What spark plugs are you using? Stock plug for that motor is NGK DR6HS. If you are doing a lot of idling, it should be a DR5HS. Only use NGK. The Hondas just run better on them.

Also, make sure your oil is a little under full. Too much oil will foul the plugs and bogg the motor down. This is probably not your problem, just some info for you.

Mike

Sounds like your cooling system is working properly. Slight warming and some "sputter" of water out the exhaust is normal. The other guys are on the right track with having you closely examine your fuel delivery. The fact that you have to squeeze the primer bulb and then give a warm engine half choke to re-light says you are losing fuel delivery to the carb and it is going lean and dieing.

Sure sounds like a venting problem but you say you have already checked that. Like Mike suggests, you could have some interior problem in your fuel hose and trying a different one might help.

One problem I see frequently on engines that get connected and disconnected alot is that the fuel line connector at the engine doesn't latch correctly and vibration causes it to back off and stop fuel flow. This doesn't sound like what is happening to yours but, then again, I don't know what "ritual" you might be using to re-start the motor and you could be bumping it back into place without knowing it. At any rate, those "quick connects" do wear due to vibration and can cause problems.

I'm guessing you are going to find your problem in the fuel hose, primer bulb, or tank. One trick I've seen suggested here is to temporarily replace the delivery line from the primer to the engine fuel coupler with a clear piece of tubing and watch for air bubbles forming as you run. This might help you find a pin hole in the system allowing air to break your prime.

Then again, it could be a bad fuel pump but they don't seem to fail very often. Anywho, keep looking and you are going to solve the puzzle. Good hunting.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I have a very similar problem with my BF8, Starts, runs for 3/4 minutes, a bit of a splutter and out, won't re-start for love no money, leave it an hour and off she goes again first pull, 3/4 minutes and splutter! splutter! off she goes, doing my head in.

Commodore,

What year BF8? Is it a BF8A or BF8D?

If it is a BF8D, then you may be overheating and the engine is shutting itself off. If it is still peeing, it could be the thermostat is stuck closed.

It could also be a carburator issue, depending on model and if it is electric start. More about that after you define what motor you have.

Mike

Hi Guys, soz for the late reply. The engine is a 1996 model not sure if a A or D, but over heating could be an issue, hard to be sure, it is peeing but as the engine splutters so the pee splutters and stops, engine doesn't feel hot. Fuel could also be an issue, a neighbour in the marina tells me he had simular problems with his honda 6 when he bought petrol from the same station i bought my fuel, he only discovered it was the fuel because he tried to use the fuel in his honda mower and got the same responce, the same fuel went into my car without a problem, are these honda's temperamental when it comes to fuel ??

Commodore,

If you think the fuel could be an issue, drain your carburator into a glass jar and check it out. That would be the first thing that I look at.

Also, check your venting on your tank (open your cap - see if that helps)
Also, have someone squeeze your fuel bulb when it begins to stop. If it keeps running, then you probably have a fuel pump problem.

Could be water. Could just be bad fuel. If water, the water could be sitting at the bottom of the bowl at startup, but as you use it, it could be getting sucked up through the carburator.

A 1996 model will not shut down from overheat until it starts really getting hot and locks itself up. It does not have a sensor like the newer models that will shut it off. This motor runs hotter than most of the other Hondas. It runs at about 165 - 180 F.

The Hondas do want at least 86 octane fuel or greater. They do not really like the E10.

It is amazing how a car can run on crappy fuel.

You may want to just dump that fuel into your car (if you think it will run it), and get fresh fuel from a good source. Be sure to open the carburator drain and flush the motor's fuel system after you do.

If it has water in it, do not put it in your car. Dispose of it some other way.

Mike

Back