Logo

Kohler 7.5r won't crank

n36511

Regular Contributor
All,

Couldn't find a suitable forum for generators.... I have a Kohler 7.5r generator in my boat. I believe the generator has around 1500 hrs but not for sure. Was out for Memorial Day weekend and the genny was running fine... then it hesitated for a few seconds, went back to normal operation and within 2 minutes died. Tried to crank with the remote switch and it would not even turn over (immediately thought the switch shorted). Opened the hatch and used the test switch on the control box on the generator and again no crank. It was almost like the unit was not getting any 12v at all. However it shares the same battery with another engine on the boat and it cranked fine. I then verified that there was 12v and ground to the generator..... Checked the 2 fuses on the control box and those appear good. Beyond this I am at a loss. Can any of the relay's cause the starter to not turn at all? And since the unit was running fine and died, would that same relay also cause the engine to die while running. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. I am just looking for a place to start.... I don't think it is the starter because that would not cause it to die while running (maybe faulty logic on my part). The points and ignition stuff wouldn't keep the starter from turning over (again I am new so my logic may be off).

Best regards - Scott

I meant to add that the gen serial number is 13427

sounds like its time to get the wiring diagram and a test light. Have 12 v at the main connections is a good start. you need to make sure it flows thru to the starter control switch as well as back to the ignition. Fuses, relays, and breakers have been used over the years; its reasonable that one or its connections have failed.

I'd suspect that the no crank and the engine dying are not related. that said, if it was a failure of the 12 v interconnect between the main attachment points and the ignition, they could be related. Test the fuses, just don't look at them.

With the spark plug(s) removed...... have you tried to turn the engine over by hand? Your explanation of how the engine stopped running has me wondering if it seized up.

Back