Logo

Problem in reverse

mercforme

I have a 1985 Merc 35hp w/ TnT, A186065. Recently I have noticed when in reverse, the motor no longer stays locked down. The trim is functioning fine so I am wondering if during my spring maintenance, I accidentally moved a locking lever? I looked around but nothing obvious seems out of place. Any thoughts?
Thanks

The hook that grabs the tilt pin to lock it down is either frozen in place, or the cam that moves it isn't moving it far enough. Tilt the motor way up and work the hook by hand. Is it free to move? If not, lubricate and work it 'til it does.

Jeff

Jeff,

With Tilt and trim it should not have the hooks anymore, that all should have been removed. If it does have the hooks than do as Jeff says.

By your serial number there should be a trim pump in the boat, there is a thumbscrew at the bottom of the pump and a label on which way to turn it for proper operation. Check that knob and make sure it is not loose or turned the wrong way. If it is right then you have a problem with the valve body in the pump itself or a couple bad o-rings in there.

Back