Logo

1989 Bayliner Capri 2.3 OMC

OMC2300

Hi Everyone.

I am new here and new to the boating world. I recenty purchased an 89 bayliner with the OMC 2.3 and was just wondering if there are any certain things I need to look out for? Again, i am new to boating but have been a mechanic for 15 years now and at age 25 thats pretty much the majority of what i have done. When I got it the previous owner said it was overheating :eek:, well with a 2.3 I thought maybe head gasket. so, i ran a compression test and checked the oil and it was clean as honey. Had about 120 on all cylinders. pressure tested cylinders and and found no leaks. well went to the outdrive next and sure enough found the impeller dry rotted and looked like someone knocked her teeth out. I replaced the impeller, cage cover and seal. runs fine on muffs and never overheats. I'm going to replace the thermostat just for my own piece of mind next, god only knows if this guy "really" took care of this boat or just changed the oil before the sell. anyway. If there are any pointers that anyone can give me or tips with the 2.3 or OMC weak points, I would appreciate it

Thanks guys!:)

Re: 89 Bayliner Capri 2.3 OMC

Thanks. I'll get right on it bro. Have noticed the shifts are tight so this is probably the issue here

ok Guys. now not getting fire to tngine. It will crank over but no spark. I have checked for power at the coil and it is good. Cleaned all wiring connections thoroughly as well. I have power to the resistor going to the distributor. points are making contact but no fire at plugs. Would I be safe to assume that this would possibly be points or coil problem. Also, The strap going to the stationary leg on the points is a power lead, not a ground. when the points make contact it completes the circut correct. I am not seeing any sparking there with ignition on and engine off. I do have power with key on to coil as well as while cranking. All i really know it could be is points or coil. whats your thoughts?

Thanks!

The points provide the ground to complete the circuit to the coil. If you are seeing power at the points it's because the 12v is going through the coil to the points. Try cleaning the points first (key off) use some fine sandpaper or emery. Make sure the points open and close (make contact) when it's cranking.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot and see what happeneds. i'll let you know ASAP what comes of it. Think I may just replace them anyway as they are $5 at the boat shop to replace them but I'll reply when shes running again

Hi. Check also the 20A fuse at the transom end of engine. Mine was blown once, the engine cranked but didn`t start. I checked the points and cleaned them and almost everything that had to do with the ignition circuit, at the end it was only the fuse.

Hey i have an 88 model same motor it will run fine on land but when you put it in water it will only idle (wont take fuel) also i took the carb apart to clean it was not dirty but the gasket has a 1.5''X1'' missing square would this cause it? what kind of carb is it it says gm on it but no model# any help would be app.

Back