Logo

Advice on buying used BF225 ?

Aux coxn

I'm a retired guy who volunteers in the Coast Guard Auxiliary. I use my 1987 Mako 248 WA for Patrols, which is powered by an 1997 Evinrude 225 HP Ocean Pro - very, very thirsty and certain to soon be unaffordable !$!$

I noticed that the government is always auctioning off USCG BF225s. So I wrote to headquarters and pointed out that they could save money on my fuel reimbursements if they could help me repower with one of the Honda 225s. I can imagine that these auctions offer the full range of: good for parts only to great deals. For example, I know of a case where a young guy drove a USCG 25 footer over a steel dredge pipe and ruined the lowers but the rest of the engines were supposedly in good shape.

Since my proposal to get first dibbs on a motor headed for auction makes economic sense to the Coast Guard, I imagine they will try to help me. Then I'll be faced with the challenge of not buying junk and putting myself in a worse position. How do I get this right ??

Well, I suspect that you will not have a chance to test the engine before buying.

If you do, then a compression test and a leak-down test would be recommended.

If not, then here is what I would look for...

1. Low hours. (The USCG has a record of putting a high number of hours on their engines before unloading them.)
2. Record of maintenance showing that oil was changed every 100 hours, filters were changed per maintenance intervals, impeller was changed regularly, etc. etc. You can download a free owners manual from Honda which will give you all the maintenance specs. http://www.honda-marine.com/owners/OwnerManuals.aspx
3. If the SN falls within the ranges below, make sure the exhaust tubes have been warranty repaired and replaced with the new ones, per Service Bulletin # 56.
BAGJ 1000001 - 1500324
BAHJ 1000001 - 1500022.
4. Make sure there is no serious corrosion at the top of the lower unit, or if it has an extension casing, corrosion in that area.
5. Pull the engine cover and inspect thoroughly for anything out of place or jerry rigged.
6. Make sure the prop is in good condition.

If you can replace that old Ocean Pro, you will realize some big savings on fuel, especially if you keep the Honda below 4800 rpm. On my boat, 4200 rpm is optimal efficiency.

Back