Logo

impeller installation

jrzskwert

I am wondering what the trick it to replacing the raw water impeller on a 1994 454XL. There is a half moon key that sits on the shaft and when I try to install the impeller it pushes the key out. It seems the key is sitting too high out of the shaft causing this problem.

-frustrated

Fun, ain't it!

"Glue" the key in with grease, then file a radius on the impeller keyway with a file, and they go right in.

Jeff

Many times there is a burr left in the keyway after the machining of it. I'd use a file like Jeff suggests but would keep the edge straight and not radiused. Test fit the key until it will slide thru the whole slot without any binding. do the same for the shaft's keyway. Then get out the grease.

And don't forget to lube the cavity...the impeller will appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I was using petroleum jelly, which from reading the Sherwood literature, shouldn't be used because it swells the impeller. What do you recommend?

BTW, thanks Jeff and Mark, I am going to the marina this evening to file the keyway and see how that works out.

I use my 30 year old tube (almost depleted) of GE SILICONE DIELECTRIC COMPOUND; its use is almost as broad as the infamous B-F-H. When used for the impeller cavity, a very thin layer is all that is needed.

Thanks guys! Your suggestions were exactly what I needed. I filed the keyway on the impeller and lubed everything up and when I aligned the impeller to the key (wasn't the easiest thing to do), I had success!!
I appreciate all of your help :)

Back