Logo

EVINRUDE V4 90 HP 1996 HARD TO START CUTTING OUT

fisho

My outboard (listed in su

My outboard (listed in subject) has become hard to start and cuts out when placed in gear. It received a service a month ago. Returned to mechanic - adjusted idle - no joy
- replaced 'black box' - no joy
What can I suggest to him?

Suggest that he fix it? Or ta

Suggest that he fix it? Or take it to someone else and do not pay the first guy. Sorry but I find it hard to take that you took it to an outboard mechanic three times and no luck??

"Fisho..... Regardless of the

"Fisho..... Regardless of the problem, always do a routine check as follows:

First, check the compression. It should be approx 100+ psi and even on all cylinders. Next, with the s/plugs removed, check the spark. It should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue flame on all cylinders. (The s/plugs must be removed in order to obtain the highest rpm available)

Check the continuity of the ignition coils. Remove the primary orange wire from whatever it's connected to. It may be connected to a powerpack screw type terminal, a rubber plug connector, or ir may simply plug onto a small boss terminal of the coil itself.

Connect the black lead of a ohm meter to the spark plug boot terminal, then with the red ohm meter lead, touch the ground of the coil or the powerhead itself if the coil is still installed.

Then touch (still with the red lead) the orange wire if it's attached to the coil, or if it's not attached, touch the primary stud of the coil. You should get a reading on both touches (contacts). If not, check the spring terminal inside the rubber boots of the spark plug wire. Poor or no continuity of a coil is one reason for s/plug fouling.

When removing the spark plugs, make a note of which s/plug came from what cylinder. They should all look alike, but if not, that difference should lead a mechanic in a certain direction.

If the engine has been sitting for any length of time (a month or more), there's a very good possibility that the carburetor(s) are somewhat fouled/clogged/gummed. If so, they'll require removing, cleaning, and rebuilding.

Remove the carburetor face plate. Observe the carburetor(s) while you pump the fuel primer bulb. If fuel flows out of the carburetor(s), they will require removing, cleaning, and rebuilding. Also check that the throttle butterflies are opening full, but not going beyond the full setting.

Your s/plugs should be Champion QL77JC4 or L77JC4 plugs (the "Q" indicates a resistor plug), set at .040 .

Check the timing to make sure it doesn't exceed whatever the specifications are for that engine. If checking at cranking speed (with the s/plugs out), the timing at full spark advance should show up as being 4° than normal.

Let us know what you find.

Joe
"

Back