Logo

Oil pump priming / Pre Start checklist

joeld98

I've got the correct distributor in and have just about buttoned up both engines. I got the pumps primed, but had a question about how much force it should take. I used a priming rod on a drill to about 30PSI until oil showed at each rocker. The thing is I damn near burnt up my drill. It smoked for a couple minutes.

Thoughts? Should I have used the heavy duty low speed drill?

Other than that, I think I'm ready to go. Need to close up the cooling system and the ignition, dump in the break in additive then prime up the fuel system.
Any other checks you'd recommend before the first run?

It takes more torque than most people realize. We used to use the HD 1/2" air drill in the shop; if you weren't paying attention, it damn near snap your wrist.

If I had to do it w/o any air, a hole hawg would be my first choice with a HD 1/2" electric drill a distanst second.

The thing is I damn near burnt up my drill. It smoked for a couple minutes.
Should I have used the heavy duty low speed drill?
And NOW you're asking? :D

That oil pump torques makes us appreciate those two little gears down there, doesn't it?

Have fun during your break-in!
New engines are always exciting, petrifying, nerve racking and joyous when they make it past that certain "Click" on the hour meter! :)

Rick,

I was reading thru this post and never thought about it but you're right. I guess petrifying is the big one

Back