Logo

Johnson 1975 15hp flywheel removal

dawnfogg

Contributing Member
Looking for help getting the flywheel off a '75 15hp johnson. Need to get the bolt off but don't have a flywheel holder. Is there a trick to holding the fly wheel without the tool in the maintenance manual.?
Thanks in advance!

Re: Johnson 15hp flywheel removal

Thanks, I assume I can get a generic one at an auto parts store that will work?

If you have access to an impact wrench...either air or electric...that'll do the trick as well.

! will second the inpact, however I have used a Redneck impact before my tool box expanded.
A short club like a 18" 2x4 will work to swat a breaker bar/socket. Ratchets will not wistand any abuse like that.

Your need for a flywheel puller is another concideration. The 35 HP I just pulled the fly wheel off a couple days ago I had to do a little heating before it would let go. That is the 1st time I have had one that tight ever, so it can happen.

Last edited:

All thanks. Picking up a strap wrench from Sears tomorrow and a sterring wheel puller from Advance. Hope to get the fly wheel off tomorrow night and figure out where my electrical problem is.

All thanks. Picking up a strap wrench from Sears tomorrow and a sterring wheel puller from Advance. Hope to get the fly wheel off tomorrow night and figure out where my electrical problem is.

A steering wheel puller is a two hole puller. You will need a three hole puller.

Dawnfog
An "Harmonic balancer puller" is what You can use.
It has three bolt slots.
Good Luck
Steve A W

Here's a puller I made, works great.

Attachments

• Picture 354.jpg
    Picture 354.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 264
  • Picture 355.jpg
    Picture 355.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 231

Here's a puller I made, works great.
I made mine also. I also used a fine thread bolt, and have it drilled for use as a steering wheel puller and a couple other applications that do not come to mind right now:confused:

A word of advice...... DO NOT apply any measure of heat to that or any other flywheel. They will warp rather quickly.

Really appreciate all the insight- this is a great forum for a novice outboard repairman. Did get the flywheel off- used the harmonic balance puller. Now that I got the flywheel off, I am continuing to trouble shoot the original ignition issue of one cylinder not sparking. Checked the points and one was .020 but the other was .014. Could the gap being too small cause a chlinder not to fire. Looking at the guts it looks like one condenser is new and one looks pretty old. Driver coil looks old also. Any advice on moving forward? Should I just replace everything?

The point setting would certainly affect the spark output. If the points aren't pitted, clean and set them. I'd install new condensers though.

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubber portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.
NOTE: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

ok, now the really stupid question. To adjust the point do I use the screw that attaches to the armature plate, or the screw that appears to go into the spring tension? Thanks for helping this rookie!

They both are small. Is it the mounting screw that goes into the armature plate (parallel to the crank shaft) or the screw at the "elbow" of the points mechanism? Really appreciate your understanding of my complete ignorance on this subject--but you have to start somewhere.

Joe was right about not applying any heat to the flywheel. On certain mtrs it could also screw up the magnets in it. NO HEAT. Brut force and awkwardness will always over come.

All, thanks. Fly wheel off and points adjusted. starting new thread TSing the ignition system.

Look closely at those two screws. One has a larger head than the other. The larger head of the two clamps down upon the point bracket. The other simply sits in a elongated slot of sorts...... this screw is an eccentric (off center) screw, when you turn it, it moves the point bracket assembly to one side or the other effectively changing the distance between the point contacts.

Back