Logo

Fuel problems with 1977 140hp Evinrude

H-Town Cobra

I just got a 1977 Silverline 16' with a 140hp Evinrude outboard....Been sitting for seven years....After changing the gear oil, Putting in 50-1 mixture of gas/oil and new battery I can't get the fuel to flowing from the fuel tank to the motor...Any advise is appreciated.....

Re: Fuel problems with 140hp Evinrude

The fuel primer bulb has a arrow on it which should be pointing to the engine. Is it?

Are you saying that when you are pumping the fuel primer bulb, no fuel is drawn up from the fuel tank?

Yes sir Mr Joereeves..I pump the fuel primer and no fuel flow..not even a leak or small stream...nothing.....

Disconnect the fuel line at the engine and secure it somehow so that gas (if it flows) doesn't shoot all over the place. There will be times whereas the engine will set up a certain scenario that prevents a initial fuel flow from the tank when everything is hooked up. After the initial prime (hose disconnected), everything works as it should.

Hold the fuel primer bulb in a vertical position (arrow pointing up) and see if it will now draw fuel. If not, possibly the primer bulb has a bad valve OR the tank pick up (within the tank) is faulty for some reason.

Some tank pickups have been known to become severely clogged, break off so that the end of it doesn't reach the bottom of the tank (various problems).

Let us know what you find.

Thank you will go through all the troublesooting and will let you know..Can't wait to get this baby in the water lol

Thank you Mr.Reeves..Problem solved..dismantled fuel line checked for blockage..almost bought a new primer bulb..but fter tweaking and pumping the fuel started to flow!!!!..So got the 140 fired up after seven years and after changing plugs and Gear oil..Ready for the lake...Thanks gain.....H-Town Cobra in Houston Tex..

If that engine has a tendency to die out when throttle is applied, be prepared to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetors. It will be very unusual if they aren't fouled after sitting for that length of time.

Back