Logo

97 Nautique GT40 starts then shuts down

BobinIL

I have a 97 sport nautique that has given me many years of trouble free service. Last year was a very wet and rainy year and the boat didn't get used much and sat on the lift with high moisture in the engine box. When I went to put it away last fall the engine would start and run for a couple of seconds then shutdown. The center relay button on the back of the engine would be popped out. You can push this button in and it will start and run again for about 2 or 3 seconds then shut down. Is this a bad fuel relay or something else? Please help, the nearest Nautique dealer is over 100 miles away.

are you sure that button isn't the main circuit breaker?

If it is, you have a significant electrical fault and you need to find it before you can fix it. I'd suspct the alternator, then the fuel pump, then the ignition. could also be a fault in the wiring harness or the instrument panel.

I swapped out the fuel relays and no change. I found a thread on Planet Nautique with the same problem same year. He said it was the low pressure fuel pump. That is where I am going to look next.

Just to close out this thread I swapped out the low pressure fuel pump last night. I had to cut the wire leads and connect them togther with wire connectors but the boat fired right up and ran like a champ. Problem solved. I hope this helps anyone else with this problem

Back