Logo

Carb/Accelerator problem.. 1995 VP 5.0

95CARAVELLE

took out my boat for first run of season(95 volvo penta 5.0 sx)..once i trimmed down and accelerated up the engine would go about 2k rpm with it "floored"..then it kicked in up to 4k rpm for about 10 seconds then would continue to cycle from 4k to 3k to 2k back to 4k rpm on its own with me touching nothing!! is that a clogged bad carb or what??

Re: Carb/Accelerator problem.. VP 5.0

There are a few possibilities: bad gas, clogged filter/water separator, clogged carb inline strainer, gummed-up jets, stuck anti-syphon valve, water in the fuel, faulty fuel pump, faulty ignition....

OK...heres what is new in the system as of before that hectic ride..new fuel pump and new fuel filter.. drained entire gas tank out dry and put new gas in.....i was told the "screen" in the carb isnt there like someone else removed it in the past...and when on idle rpm my carb drips gas slowwww ..no even gas spray from the jets at all..sounds like gummed jets...not sure what a anti siphon valve is..hope this helps. THANK U

How bout trying the $10 fix. Get a can of Seafoam, pour a third down the carb and let it sit for 15-20 minutes and the rest in a quarter tank of fuel. Start it up and hopefully it will get eonough of the varnish and gum out of the carb to start running better. After a couple of tanks of fuel the carb should be cleaned out.

re:"not sure what a anti siphon valve is.."

Valve is located at the tank. Prevents gas from siphoning out of the tank into the bilge if a leak in the gas line occurs. Typically, located in the fitting that the gas line attaches to at the tank.

In reading my Penta Operators manual on p24 it describes your surging as a function of the engine protection mode.

Back