Logo

Restore a Johnson 1955 5.5 HP CD-12

Walston

Yesterday I bought a Johnson 5.5 hp outboard that is in very good shape. It is a model CD-12 which looks to be 1955. It literally looks like it is about 2 years old. It has spent most of its life on a wood stand in this fellows basement, he said he didn't use it much and from the looks of it, I believe him. I want to get it in shape to use. It last ran 6 years ago.

What do you guys recommend I should do to get it ready for the lake?

The gas tank is in good shape, but has some brown sludge in the bottom. What is the best way to clean it up and get it ready to use.

I am very mechanically inclined and have done several total rebuilds on automobile engines, so don't be bashful on recommending what to do.

Thanks for the help! :)

Re: Restore a Johnson 5.5 HP CD-12

well if the tank is sludged the first thing is is to get it clean a good carb cleaner can do that may take a few times, change the oil in the lower unit, def get you a manual, carb will prob have to be rebuilt, and prob a new water pump, theres a guy on here that goes by joe reeves he is the one to ask i think when he was borned he had outboards for arms and legs, just jokeing he is very knowledgeable on these outboards

Walston
Here are some links to some sites that deal with reviving a motor that has been
stored for a while.

http://www.precisionservoutboard.com/Information/ArtsFivePointPlan/tabid/65/Default.aspx

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/columns/max/articles.htm

On the Duckworks site, go to the first "Start to finish" section.
He works on a 55 CD12.
These sites helped Me with My CD12. I was hoping to barrel test it this weekend but I pulled a muscle in My back :mad:last monday.
Maybe next week it will make smoke.

Good Luck with your motor.
Steve A W

Walston
Here are some links to some sites that deal with reviving a motor that has been
stored for a while.

http://www.precisionservoutboard.com/Information/ArtsFivePointPlan/tabid/65/Default.aspx

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/columns/max/articles.htm

On the Duckworks site, go to the first "Start to finish" section.
He works on a 55 CD12.
These sites helped Me with My CD12. I was hoping to barrel test it this weekend but I pulled a muscle in My back :mad:last monday.
Maybe next week it will make smoke.

Good Luck with your motor.
Steve A W

This is great help Thanks!

I am in the process of restoring my cd-12. To get it running I had to replace both condensers, spark plugs and wires, cleaned and installed a kit in the carb. and converted the pressure fuel system to a fuel pump. That put it back to running. I then changed the water pump impeller and gaskets on the lower unit. I am waiting on seal and o-ring for the lower unit and it will be done. Mine had water in the lower unit and the drain plugs were very hard to remove. I finally got them out with an impact screwdriver and patience. I have not replace the seal yet and am trying to figure how to get the old one out. If anyone has any advise, I'd appreciate it.
Jim

Well we cleaned the gas tank, it had a good bit of sludge, but we were able to get it clean with some good scrubbing. The tank is actually in good shape. We replaced the fuel lines and then made a new gasket for the top of the tank and put everything back together.

We cleaned up the carb and replaced the "under hood" fuel lines as well. I didn't replace any parts, I didn't have any yet, so we just cleaned things up. The carb was actually very clean, even still has a cork float.I have worked on a lot of old cars, but this is my first cork float!

We cleaned the spark plugs, put a little 2 cycle oil in the cylinders and it pulled smoothly.

Checked the oil in the lower unit and it look like new oil.

So we thought, what the heck, lets give it a try. Believe it or not it started on the third pull.

It was only running on one cylinder at idle, but both kicked it if you gave it a little gas. Made good water. So after playing with it for a little while, we pulled the flywheel to have a look at the points and sure enough both coils are severely cracked. Points didn't look bad, but we will likely replace them as well since we have it apart.

So it looks like we will order some parts, couple coils, couple points and stuff to rebuild the carb, although I am not sure it needs it.

So all in all, my son and I had a pretty fun day.:D:D

Happy Memorial Day and Thanks to all who have Served!

Last edited:

Cork float was standard back in the 50's and early 60's. If the float is red in color it is time to change it. Will not stand up to ethanol fuel. Likely even a new replacement will be cork but yellow in color. After sitting 6 years you should probably replace the impeller also. Run the fuel at 1 quart TCW 3 oil per tank (doesn't matter if it is a 4 gallon or the 6 gallon dual line pressure tank). There are 3 seals in the lower unit that need to be pried or driven out. The prop shaft seal and the drive shaft seal can be pried out using an open end wrench and working around the seal. Helps sometimes to apply some heat to loosen the old sealant. The shift shaft seal will have to be driven out. Find a brass rod that is just a bit larger than the shift shaft. Should be around 5/16 in diameter. Use it to drive the bushing out of the lower unit and pick the seal out. When replacing the seals use a sealant such as 3M 847, Permatex Aviation or SealsAll. Don't use silicone. Might have to replace the o-rings in the fuel fitting end.

Well we replaced the coils, plug wires and points. WOW what a difference! Starts on the first pull and runs quite well in the barrel. We don't have the float and carb rebuild kit yet and we will do that after they arrive, but the carb seems to be working OK. It does have a red cork float, so based on an earlier comment, I assume it needs changed based on the "new gas". I would be pretty comfortable giving it a test spin in the lake now, but will likely wait.

I ordered a water impeller, even know the one in it seems to be working fine. I know this thing has not been run in 6 years. How important is it to change the impeller now?

Thanks for the great help!:D

Attachments

• CIMG4994-01.jpg
    CIMG4994-01.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 718
  • CIMG4995-01.jpg
    CIMG4995-01.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 497
  • CIMG4996-01.jpg
    CIMG4996-01.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 605
Last edited:

Pull the lower unit and check the impeller. If it has taken a set (fins remain curled out of the housing), is cracked or a fin or two is backwards it will likely fail. Result of no water pumping is a burned engine if you don't notice it soon enough. Chunks breaking off can plug the water passages.

Hi all. I am new to the board and need some advice on rebuild of a 56 CD-12.

Some history
I got this CD-12 with the purchase of a new house. The motor probably sat for 10 years since the previous owner didn't seem to know anything about it and he had the house for 10 years. My son and I have been working to restore it since august. We have replaced all the gaskets, rebuilt the carburetor, converted from the pressure tank to the fuel pump, changed the impeller, changed the gear oil (which by the way looked and smelled like dog vomit). We have it running at throttle up.

Problems 1) The engine will not run at idle speed. We can get it running when it is set just above start on the throttle handle and then taken to high throttle right a way. It will run for a little while maybe a minute and then starts to bog down. And if you go towards idle or throttle down it will start to die. 2) It is extremely hard to pull start. I am 40 years old and in good shape and I have to pull with all my might multiple times before it will start. 3) There is a hole in the lower end above the prop that looks like it is supposed to be there. It is the size of a small nail maybe 1/16" diameter and leaks gear fluid when the engine is running and for a day afterwards. 4) The carb bowl needs a new gasket and filter. I have a solution for this from vintageoutboard.com.

In speaking with vintageoutboard he suggested there is something binding up either in the power head or in the lower unit. So I pulled the power head off and I can turn it easily. So my thought is it is in the lower unit. The shifter was in neutral and I was turning the drive shaft is very difficult. I expect there is a problem in the low end but I am unsure how to troubleshoot it. There is a lower end on sale on Ebay for $95 and I am wondering if I should buy that. The low end of this unit is pretty banged up. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Start a new thread. This one is 7 yrs old. Read the rules at the top of the forum. Thank You.

Hi all. I am new to the board and need some advice on rebuild of a 56 CD-12.

Some history
I got this CD-12 with the purchase of a new house. The motor probably sat for 10 years since the previous owner didn't seem to know anything about it and he had the house for 10 years. My son and I have been working to restore it since august. We have replaced all the gaskets, rebuilt the carburetor, converted from the pressure tank to the fuel pump, changed the impeller, changed the gear oil (which by the way looked and smelled like dog vomit). We have it running at throttle up.

Problems 1) The engine will not run at idle speed. We can get it running when it is set just above start on the throttle handle and then taken to high throttle right a way. It will run for a little while maybe a minute and then starts to bog down. And if you go towards idle or throttle down it will start to die. 2) It is extremely hard to pull start. I am 40 years old and in good shape and I have to pull with all my might multiple times before it will start. 3) There is a hole in the lower end above the prop that looks like it is supposed to be there. It is the size of a small nail maybe 1/16" diameter and leaks gear fluid when the engine is running and for a day afterwards. 4) The carb bowl needs a new gasket and filter. I have a solution for this from vintageoutboard.com.

In speaking with vintageoutboard he suggested there is something binding up either in the power head or in the lower unit. So I pulled the power head off and I can turn it easily. So my thought is it is in the lower unit. The shifter was in neutral and I was turning the drive shaft is very difficult. I expect there is a problem in the low end but I am unsure how to troubleshoot it. There is a lower end on sale on Ebay for $95 and I am wondering if I should buy that. The low end of this unit is pretty banged up. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

If it won't idle in neutral, I doubt it is in the lower unit, although there may be a problem there that needs fixed or replaced.

I was never able to get mine to run with the fuel pump conversion. It runs like brand new with the pressurized tank, but ran like crap and wouldn't idle with the fuel pump conversion. I switched it back and have used it for years. Hope this helps.

Back