Logo

Mercruiser 5.0L w/ alpha one stern drive

ghostrider_four

I blew a front crankshaft seal last season and needed to replace the seal and the cover. Is there any way to replace the front timing cover and get it down into the oil pan and seal up without having to pull the whole motor out???? I need a trick or two so I do not have to pull it all out.....suggestions????

I have done exactly what you want to do. It can be done. You have to cut away the bottom of the new timing cover gasket (the half round part that sticks down into the oil pan groove). Drain the oil, remove the timing cover, clean out the oil pan groove, prepare the new cover/gasket assembly by cutting it so you can push it straight on. Apply RTV gasket maker into the groove and also to the bottom of the cut gasket. Push the cover straight on and bolt up. I ran the motor for 2 years with no leaks. Mine was a 1994 5.7 (basically same motor).

Did you just cut the lip off that sticks down into the oil pan? Then if you do that will the cover hold the oil pan gasket in place so that it won't leak?

I only cut the rubber bottom portion of the new timing cover gasket. From what I remember, I cut the bottom part of the gasket so I could push the cover straight on. I may have had to sit the bottom of the timing cover in the groove 1st, then tilted the top in (can't remember). I applied a liberal amount of RTV gasket maker into the oil pan groove and to the bottom of the gasket where I cut it off. I installed the timing cover, snugged the screws, let it cure, then tightened a little more. Mine never leaked.

Back