Logo

O2 Sensor warranty extended for BF200 and BF225

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The web is a huge source of information.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Found evidence that the problem stems from a design error.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The new BF 250 (2019) have the O2 sensor moved higher.[/FONT]

O2 new position.JPG

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]As you can see it is a couple of inches and this is obviously a palliative that mitigates the problem but does not solve it.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]In fact the new engines are also sold in DrivebyWire version where the O2 sensor is no longer there! ELIMINATED![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Initially the two versions will be sold together, then only the version without O2 sensor will remain.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Buyers of BF200-225-250 until 2018 can resign themselves: they bought an outboard with a design error.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Among them are lucky to whom the problem never happens or almost never and unlucky to which the problem happens periodically.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I think that for these people Honda will not do anything decisive. Perhaps Honda will limit its gain on the sale of the spare part by lowering the price (in Italy it has already done so).[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I remember that Honda advertised the O2 sensor as a strength of its high power engines. What a miserable end![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]All this is not correct. Generally those who make mistakes pay, but in this case those who make a mistake do not pay, instead they pay the buyers for them.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif](somebody might say: even buyers have made a mistake, they have the wrong purchase) [/FONT]

The exhaust manifold with the higher sensor mount hole has been around for some time, it was introduced with the AK2 motors and can be fitted to all motors that take the smaller O2 sensor ie the A6 motors that had the sensor/ecm upgrade. These manifolds do improve longevity of yhe O2 sensor and are only about $100.00 or so, worth doing.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]This is interesting. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I'll see if the exhaust manifold with the higher sensor mount hole is also available for the bf 250.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I don't think that one or two inches higher can make a big difference, but if the spare costs around $ 100 it is worth trying, because the sensor, which could be saved by the change, costs more than $ 100.

[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I think I made a mistake with the photos. On the left is the photo of the new BF250.
Looking more carefully I think that the photo refers to the DrivebyWire version, the one without O2 sensor.
new BF250.JPG
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]In fact the object, which seemed to me an O2 sensor moved higher , is probably the water temperature sensor.
Instead the O2 sensor is not there
new BF250-225.jpg
[/FONT]

Yes, the D series motors have a different manifold. The AK 2 and above and all the 250 A's have the new design manifolds which can be retro fitted as I mentioned previously.The one you showed on the left is the earlier version more prone to water mist contamination of the O2 sensor

Back