Logo

O2 Sensor warranty extended for BF200 and BF225

chawk_man

Silver Medal Contributor
Just to let everyone know, I just received a letter from Honda announcing they are extending the warranty on O2 sensors for the BF200 and BF225 for six years from the original date of purchase.

Warrenty extension is automatically transferred to any subsequent owner.

If you have previously paid for and O2 sensor replacement, Honda will likely reimburse you if you have the needed documentation.

For any questions, contact Honda Customer Relations Department at 770 497-6400, or write them at 4900 Marconi Drive, Atlanta, GA 30005.

Mike - I did not see any restrictions as to serial numbers in the letter I received or the ones you posted. Where did you find those?

Neal,

The serial number ranges were in the body of the Service Bulletin itself. It seems to cover all the 200's and 225's manufactured through approximately 2008.

Mike

Yes, it should cover any and all replacements. However, if you have a pre-2007 model, you should have the exhause pipes changed out in accordance with Service Bulletin 56. Those exhause pipes are the main reason the HO2 sensor fails in the first place. If you need a copy of the service bulletin, send an e-mail to me at [email protected].

The pipes were changed about two years ago.

The dealer tells me that yes I am covered and they change the computer as part of O2 fix.

The only issue is that they will only do the work on the one engine that has failed.

Hmmm - maybe you need to make sure the other one fails while you are still covered.

I had problem. Of course this goes back a few years. I received the letter from Honda about the 02 Sensor a few years ago. When I received the Honda letter I immediately contacted my Honda Dealer. The Dealer told me that if the 02 Sensor had not been an issue then to not worry about it. Of course at about 225 hours and a few months later my buzzer sounded and I brought the Boat/engine into my Dealer. It showed it was an issue with the H20 sensor that Honda had recalled. Turned out my engine was a couple of months out of recall warranty and Honda would not cover it and my Honda Dealer wanted $1100. to replace computer and H20 sensor. I wound up just replacing the old recalled H20 sensor with the old style for a couple of hundred bucks out of my pocket. If the Dealer replaced the H20 sensor and computer module when I called immediately after receiving the Honda letter about recall letter was received Honda would have stood behind a faulty design problem. My Dealer tried and contacted his Honda Rep and he said he could not help due to Honda Factory directive. I wrote and called Honda/Atlanta and bitched but to no positive results to my benefit. I was pissed and will probably continue to replace the H20 sensor with the old style faulty unit from time to time. I am not going to spend $1100 for the computer module and new style H20 sensor. Oh well, this is my 4th Honda outboard and maybe I will go elsewhere next time.

Must be a country by country thing. We had ongoing issues with the O2 sensors on a pair of 175's (same 225 block) and Honda are looking after them at their cost even though the 5 year warranty probably should have expired a few months ago. As they were fixing the sensors they also noticed a water leak in one engine and traced it back to some unusual block corrosion. New power head fitted, no questions asked. Whilst they were fixing that one, they also checked the other engine and decided it might potentially fail as well, so two new power heads on the boat. After ~5 years and over 1000hrs I can only say that I wish I had got the same support (or even anything close) when our Yamaha F200 failed with the very common exhaust corrosion and oil seal issues. Yamaha just refused to even discuss the problem. We run a fleet of hire boats that are approx 50% Honda and 50% Yamaha. That ratio is going to change a lot over the next few years based on the different approach the two companies have taken to fixing up errors in their design/manufacture.

You will have to check with a dealer in your country. Motors sold in USA are covered under different warranty than other countries. In otherwords, if a motor that was purchased in Canada is brought into the USA, they can not get warranty work in the USA. It appears each country or region has its own Honda Region. Check http://www.hondauae.com/ to contact your closest dealer.

Mike

Looks like I am beyond the extended warranty on my '06 BF225, anyone know the part number for the O2 sensor so I can seek out a replacement on my own? Thanks!

But before buy your O2 sensor make sure which type of sensor you have is it old type(big size,013) new type (small size,01C),If its changed before under warranty it could be changed with new sensor kit with ECU, So make sure which sensor you have,

ZY3-013----old type
ZY3-01C----new type

Checked with the dealer where the motor was bought in '06, and where it had been serviced, they verified via the VIN that it was never changed out under warranty. I ordered the older, bigger type to replace what came out, plus I ordered the new exhaust pipe kit as referenced in SB#56. Thanks

Then it is ok. but what is the exhaust pipe kit is that new modify exhaust manifold,if you going to fix new manifold you should have new type sensor also.

Then it is ok. but what is the exhaust pipe kit is that new modify exhaust manifold,if you going to fix new manifold you should have new type sensor also.
SB#56 calls for the same O2 sensor part number as the one I removed, and almost positive the exhaust tube replacement kit/process does not include changing out the manifolds.

Ok,Pls can you send the exhaust tube kit part number or any link for more details coz i never heard about it.

thanx.

Send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will send Honda Service Bulleting # 56. On page 1 of the SB, you can check your serial number against those listed to see if you may have the problem exhaust tubes. If so, then Honda sells a kit with all the necessary parts and materials to do the replacement. The replacement procedure is escribed in detail in the SB.

I had the pipes and computers updated but after about three years seem to have a O2 sensor issue again.

Should I try reseting the computer and see it that resolves the issue?
How do you reset the computer?

Generally, you reset the computed by disconnecting the battery and letting it alone for an hour or so. Then clear any fault codes.

Clearing Fault Codes (Post by Honda Dude)

Essentially, to clear the codes, you operate the kill switch 5 times with the shunt (shorting device, or paper clip) in place and within 20 seconds of the key switch being turned on.

I recommend grabbing the safety lanyard very close to the switch that it is attached to so you can pull it to off and push it to on without losing the lanyard.

• Connect the shunting device (technical term for paper clip.)• Turn on the key switch.

• Pull the safety switch to off, then push to on, then pull to off, then push to on, then pull to off, then push to on, then pull to off, then push to on, then pull to off. That should be five times off and on and off within 20 seconds from when you turn the key switch to on. When you get to the fifth time off...you should hear one or two beeps. The codes are clear. If you did not hear the beeps, try again.

• Turn the key switch off

Remove the shunting device and run the engine. Then check for codes again.

I had the pipes and computers updated but after about three years seem to have a O2 sensor issue again.

Hallo,
I live in Italy and I have a BF 250 with oxygen sensor 35655-ZY3-C01 that has been changed 4 times under warranty in the interval between about 20 and 170 engine hours. Now at 360 hours I have a O2 sensor issue again.
I think this problem is caused by a design error so I asked Honda for another repair under warranty but Honda became deaf.
O2 sensor 35655-ZY3-C01 is small but expensive so this problem becomes a very annoying annual Honda tax.

Did you solve definitively the problem?

Generally the O2 sensor is not a problem on the new 250s, usually there is an underlying issue with the fuel or the motor sitting too low in thew water. I have many customers with 250s, some with up to 500hrs without an O2 sensor issue at all. You dealer should be able to pin point the problem.

My BF250 isn't sitting low in water, instead it is sitting high on water : motor is mounted raised up to penultimate hole. More over on my boat it is possible to mount two engines with 200 hp, so a single BF 250 isn't a heavy weight.
What percentage of faults in BF 250's O2? I do not know. I think an outboard mounted on a pontoon is less prone to O2's breakdowns, so the pontoons lower the percentage.
I am sure that my engine mounted on the trestles with cup flusher, on the ground, in 100,000 hours of operation would have no problem with o2 sensors.
Obviously the outboards are bought to work in the water, and Honda should design and build them to work in the water.
On the percentage of faults in BF 250's O2 I can say what I saw. Where i live the bf 250 are few, in the marina where I moor my boat there is only mine.
Nevertheless over time I have seen two bf 250 pass near me at very low speed with the intermittent beep that I know very well. Two events in a few elements is a non-negligible percentage.
The dealer intervened 4 times under warranty and under supervision of Honda Italy, and replaced the O2 four times. I think he did everything he could do, because what happens to me, to Topfish, to v70cat, means that there is a design error that no dealer can solve.
The problem can be solved by Honda or by the oxygen sensor 35655-ZY3-C01 manufacturer (probably ngk). Until honda does not solve the problem, in the world there will be a number of BF 250-225-200 buyers forced to pay periodically an O2 Honda tax.
I think these people have the right to buy the O2 without profit for honda, applying the same price as the manufacturer of the sensor.
I wrote to honda Italy and to https://crrs.secure.force.com/service/marinew2c, which created the case - 09747746.
I have not received an answer to everything today , so I continue to search in the web

I agree with Ian on this. There have been very few posts on this forum about the HO2 sensor failing on the BF 250. So I suspect there is another issue.

The first place I would look is the quality of the fuel. It's a possibility that the fuel is lower octane than advertised due to age or issues in transport and storage. If you happen to have one of the failed HO2 sensors, I would take it apart and inspect it in detail. If the probe is carboned up, then it's likely bad fuel. Inspect the zirconia coating to see if there is any film on it. Test the heating element to see if that is the source of failure - a straight 12 volts on the heater circuit should get it to around 600 degrees F (205 degrees C).

If you suspect a fuel issue, producing high amounts of carbon, then start treating your fuel with Yamalube Ring Free - 1 oz per 10 gallons. That breaks up carbon build up and is HO2 safe. I do that at least once a year on my BF 225. Also, use a stabilizer (Sta-bil Marine or Startron) whenever you know the boat will be set up for any period of time.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]What you say is true.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I'm looking at forums dealing with honda HO2's problems and I've also seen mostly talk about BF 200-225. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] BF 200-225 have been on sale for many years, so it is very likely that the BF 200-225 sold are many more than the BF250, and this can make the difference. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]For example in the marina where I moor my boat there is only mine BF 250 but there are 5 BF 225.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]However I think that with regards to this problem BF 250-225-200 are in common, because they have the same oxygen sensor 35655-ZY3-C01 mounted in the same position.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]There is no water in the fuel, in addition to the water separator filter on the engine, which has never sounded the alarm, I have another transparent water separator filter mounted on the boat: never seen a drop of water.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The quality of the fuel is excellent, the BF 250 works with gasoline greater than or equal to 86 octane, the gasoline on sale here has at least 95 octane, but often more than 95.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I have pictures of 4 broken oxygen sensor.
faulty HO2.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]As you can see, there are no problems with fuel, silicone, etc.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The real problems are 2.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1. the water rising from the exhaust pipe[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2. excessive fragility of the miniaturized HO2 35655-ZY3-C01 to the rising water.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Does Honda know how to solve these problems? Does Honda want to solve these problems? I do not know[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The oxygen sensor advertised as a benefit in reality for some buyers has become a disadvantage.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]If Honda cannot find a solution it could at least provide the unlucky buyers with a half solution: reprogram the ECM to exclude HO2.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I'm waiting for an answer and a solution from Honda.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I hope the solution is not at my expense because honda changed 4 HO2 to warranty but did not solve the problem, Honda has only delayed until the warranty expires.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Until honda gives me a solution I keep searching on the web. Yesterday I found a boating and fishing forum where one participant had two bf 250 mounted on one boat, both with the HO2 broken (this means that break is not accidental).[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Anyway thanks for the advice.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I think it is not easy to find a definitive solution. (in truth there is a solution: change the outboard with another brand, but it is too expensive)[/FONT]

Sorry to hear about that. Please keep us posted if any progress is made with Honda.

From your excellent pictures, I cannot judge whether the carbon build up on the outside of those sensors is normal or not, since I have never had to pull mine. Perhaps someone on this forum who has seen a lot of these can make a judgement on that buildup. To my inexperienced eyes, that looks like a lot.

Back