Logo
Click for Honda Manuals, Parts and Model Guides!

Default O2 Sensor warranty extended for BF200 and BF225

Just to let everyone know, I just received a letter from Honda announcing they are extending the warranty on O2 sensors for the BF200 and BF225 for six years from the original date of purchase.

Warrenty extension is automatically transferred to any subsequent owner.

If you have previously paid for and O2 sensor replacement, Honda will likely reimburse you if you have the needed documentation.

For any questions, contact Honda Customer Relations Department at 770 497-6400, or write them at 4900 Marconi Drive, Atlanta, GA 30005.

Default Re: O2 Sensor warranty extended for BF200 and BF225

Just to supplement chawk_man...this applies to
    BF200A, A2 - KO Models with serial numbers BAEJ-1000001 - 1509999 and BAFJ-1000001-1509999 and
    BF225A, A2 0 K0 Models with serial numbers BAGJ-1000001 - 1509999 and BAHJ -1000001 - 1500598

Here are copies of the letters sent to registered customers.

ml.repaw05a.ptb54134.pdf

ml.repaw05a.ptb54134a.pdf

Mike
    Last edited by hondadude; 05-30-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Mike - I did not see any restrictions as to serial numbers in the letter I received or the ones you posted. Where did you find those?

Neal,

The serial number ranges were in the body of the Service Bulletin itself. It seems to cover all the 200's and 225's manufactured through approximately 2008.

Mike

1275 Santa Rosa Ave Santa Rosa, CA 95404 US

Really Thanks for the great information

I assume that the Warranty covers me even if they replaced the sensor before?

Yes, it should cover any and all replacements. However, if you have a pre-2007 model, you should have the exhause pipes changed out in accordance with Service Bulletin 56. Those exhause pipes are the main reason the HO2 sensor fails in the first place. If you need a copy of the service bulletin, send an e-mail to me at [email protected].
    CHawk 25 DLX

The pipes were changed about two years ago.

The dealer tells me that yes I am covered and they change the computer as part of O2 fix.

The only issue is that they will only do the work on the one engine that has failed.

Hmmm - maybe you need to make sure the other one fails while you are still covered.
    CHawk 25 DLX

Quote Originally Posted by chawk_man View Post
    Hmmm - maybe you need to make sure the other one fails while you are still covered.
    I had problem. Of course this goes back a few years. I received the letter from Honda about the 02 Sensor a few years ago. When I received the Honda letter I immediately contacted my Honda Dealer. The Dealer told me that if the 02 Sensor had not been an issue then to not worry about it. Of course at about 225 hours and a few months later my buzzer sounded and I brought the Boat/engine into my Dealer. It showed it was an issue with the H20 sensor that Honda had recalled. Turned out my engine was a couple of months out of recall warranty and Honda would not cover it and my Honda Dealer wanted $1100. to replace computer and H20 sensor. I wound up just replacing the old recalled H20 sensor with the old style for a couple of hundred bucks out of my pocket. If the Dealer replaced the H20 sensor and computer module when I called immediately after receiving the Honda letter about recall letter was received Honda would have stood behind a faulty design problem. My Dealer tried and contacted his Honda Rep and he said he could not help due to Honda Factory directive. I wrote and called Honda/Atlanta and bitched but to no positive results to my benefit. I was pissed and will probably continue to replace the H20 sensor with the old style faulty unit from time to time. I am not going to spend $1100 for the computer module and new style H20 sensor. Oh well, this is my 4th Honda outboard and maybe I will go elsewhere next time.

Must be a country by country thing. We had ongoing issues with the O2 sensors on a pair of 175's (same 225 block) and Honda are looking after them at their cost even though the 5 year warranty probably should have expired a few months ago. As they were fixing the sensors they also noticed a water leak in one engine and traced it back to some unusual block corrosion. New power head fitted, no questions asked. Whilst they were fixing that one, they also checked the other engine and decided it might potentially fail as well, so two new power heads on the boat. After ~5 years and over 1000hrs I can only say that I wish I had got the same support (or even anything close) when our Yamaha F200 failed with the very common exhaust corrosion and oil seal issues. Yamaha just refused to even discuss the problem. We run a fleet of hire boats that are approx 50% Honda and 50% Yamaha. That ratio is going to change a lot over the next few years based on the different approach the two companies have taken to fixing up errors in their design/manufacture.

is that O2 sensor warranty extended applicable for gulf countries(UAE) ?

You will have to check with a dealer in your country. Motors sold in USA are covered under different warranty than other countries. In otherwords, if a motor that was purchased in Canada is brought into the USA, they can not get warranty work in the USA. It appears each country or region has its own Honda Region. Check http://www.hondauae.com/ to contact your closest dealer.

Mike

Looks like I am beyond the extended warranty on my '06 BF225, anyone know the part number for the O2 sensor so I can seek out a replacement on my own? Thanks!

Mike needs to jump in here and look over my shoulder. I think there have been changes to the HO2 sensor since O6.

It looks like it should be 35655-ZY3-013 SENSOR, OXYGEN (Honda Code 7183742)

Check again on www.boats.net

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ho...TAT/parts.html
    CHawk 25 DLX

I was able to find that sensor through boats.net for $167. Thanks for the help!

But before buy your O2 sensor make sure which type of sensor you have is it old type(big size,013) new type (small size,01C),If its changed before under warranty it could be changed with new sensor kit with ECU, So make sure which sensor you have,

ZY3-013----old type
    ZY3-01C----new type

Checked with the dealer where the motor was bought in '06, and where it had been serviced, they verified via the VIN that it was never changed out under warranty. I ordered the older, bigger type to replace what came out, plus I ordered the new exhaust pipe kit as referenced in SB#56. Thanks

Then it is ok. but what is the exhaust pipe kit is that new modify exhaust manifold,if you going to fix new manifold you should have new type sensor also.

Quote Originally Posted by wajira View Post
    Then it is ok. but what is the exhaust pipe kit is that new modify exhaust manifold,if you going to fix new manifold you should have new type sensor also.
    SB#56 calls for the same O2 sensor part number as the one I removed, and almost positive the exhaust tube replacement kit/process does not include changing out the manifolds.

Ok,Pls can you send the exhaust tube kit part number or any link for more details coz i never heard about it.

thanx.

Send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will send Honda Service Bulleting # 56. On page 1 of the SB, you can check your serial number against those listed to see if you may have the problem exhaust tubes. If so, then Honda sells a kit with all the necessary parts and materials to do the replacement. The replacement procedure is escribed in detail in the SB.
    CHawk 25 DLX

I had the pipes and computers updated but after about three years seem to have a O2 sensor issue again.

Should I try reseting the computer and see it that resolves the issue?
    How do you reset the computer?

Generally, you reset the computed by disconnecting the battery and letting it alone for an hour or so. Then clear any fault codes.

Clearing Fault Codes (Post by Honda Dude)

Essentially, to clear the codes, you operate the kill switch 5 times with the shunt (shorting device, or paper clip) in place and within 20 seconds of the key switch being turned on.

I recommend grabbing the safety lanyard very close to the switch that it is attached to so you can pull it to off and push it to on without losing the lanyard.

• Connect the shunting device (technical term for paper clip.)• Turn on the key switch.

• Pull the safety switch to off, then push to on, then pull to off, then push to on, then pull to off, then push to on, then pull to off, then push to on, then pull to off. That should be five times off and on and off within 20 seconds from when you turn the key switch to on. When you get to the fifth time off...you should hear one or two beeps. The codes are clear. If you did not hear the beeps, try again.

• Turn the key switch off

Remove the shunting device and run the engine. Then check for codes again.
    CHawk 25 DLX