Logo

2000 Regal 1700 175 hp Xr2 Jet boat running issue

niteltsdjs

I have a 2000 Regal 1700 Xr2 Jet boat with the mercury 175 sport jet. When I took the boat out of storage, I hooked the hose to it and the engine started right up. Went down to the lake put the boat in the water, it ran for about 3 min and died out. would not restart. I took the boat to a local mechanic, they said it was the stator. They installed the stator and when I picked the boat up and put it in the water, same thing. Runs for 3 min and dies, does not restart. I took it back to the mechanic. They tested it and could not find anything. It ran for over an hour on the trailer. I changed plugs, fuel filter and ran a can of sea foam thru. Still runs on the trailer perfectly and dies after 3 min in the water. It restarts as soon you pull it out of the water. Please help !!!! :confused:

Re: 2000 Regal 1700 Xr2 Jet boat running issue

The boat has developed a fear of the water? :)

Seriously, I would rebuild the fuel pump.

The Mercjet has kind of a funky set-up compared to outboards.

It uses a standard crankcase pressure driven fuel pump, just like an outboard for "normal" running.

But it has an electric fuel pump/primer system.

When you crank over the motor the electric pump supplies fuel to the system to get her started, then the regular fuel pump takes over.

To me it kinda sounds like after that "prime" and initial system charge from the electric pump is gone, she isn't getting enough gas.

You could have a clogged carb which might be past the point of seafoam making any difference. But I would start with the fuel pump...

Back