Logo

Question? on a volvo penta aq131a distributor

captain rik

OK i was installing a new front main seal had the timing belt off as well as the heat exchanger for some dumb reason i pulled out the gear that turns the rotar.

I ddint put i back in so when i set the time the rotor button is pointing at the cylinder #4 instead of cylinder #1.

So a freind of mine told me to take out the whole distributor put it back in with the rotor pointing at the #1 cylinder.

Could some one tell if they have done this and if so is it hard to put the Distributor back in he said i would have to put it in several times to get it in the right position that it twist but i would eventually get it pointing at the #1 cylinder.

I was wondering while i had the Distributor out should i grease or oil the shaft and gear and what kind of oil or grease should i use.

From what i have read on the message board tonight to set the timing i set the gear infront of the valvle cover matching the dot on the geear to the slot on front of valve cover.

And the rotor cam has a plate with a notch and the gear has a dot.

Okay and i think im to set the crank at 0 that would be dtc but back it of bdtc about 4-6 degrees the give room to adjust the timining turning the rotor for advancement or to revers the advance.

Im all so going to replace the points with a eltronic ignition module has anyone done this as well.

any advise anyone could give me would be very appreciated as well.

thank you.

It is best to index all three belt pulleys as per OEM specs and instructions.

However...... the counter shaft only drives the oil pump, fuel pump and distributor.
But if you re-index the distributor, you can make the engine run, and the fuel pump, oil pump and distributor gear won't know the difference.

The crankshaft pulley and camshaft pulley MUST align!

Again, best to index all three correctly.

Your call!

Get it running first....., then do the electronic kit.
Re-set timing afterwards.

Last edited:
You can either re-install the distributor 180º off, or you can just swap the ignition wires: 1 to 4, 4 to 1, 2 to 3 and 3 to 2.

A definte YES to the electronic ignition conversion.

I should have added that one "draw-back" in NOT indexing this correctly, is that the next guy working on this engine may wonder why the distributor cap is not wired according to the markings...... and he may wonder why the counter-shaft is not indexed correctly with the crank and cam!

Other than that...... she will run!

...the next guy working on this engine may wonder why the distributor cap is not wired according to the markings...... and he may wonder why the counter-shaft is not indexed correctly with the crank and cam! .

Ricardo, we can always deal with the "next guy" when he comes to this forum asking that very question. :D

In any case, my assumption (righ or wrong) is that the gears are probably indexed correctly but someone may have installed the distributor when #1 cylinder was at the end of the exhaust stroke rather than at the end of the compression stroke.

Last edited:
Back