Logo

1998 200 hp mercury outboard

jwbeez

my brother in law is fixing to buy a 1998 200hp mercury when we check the compression on each cylinder what should it be.

Factory spec would be 110-135 psi on a (warm) block, with no greater than 15 psi difference between all cylinders.

(OMC/BRP considers upto a 20% difference in cylinder pressure to be adequate for normal operation - there desingers felt too many motors were being rebuilt un-necessarily because of the 10-15% rule - so on this model, upwards of 25 psi difference would be considered "ok")

However, personally, I would be looking for anything over 100 psi on all cylinders.

So I would consider 100, 125, 117 etc ok, but 100, 75, 100 would not...

Hi Guys
I have a Mercury 200hp 2.4l v6 with 1 blown piston. I was told by my local boat mechanic that it will cost a minimum of £1500 to have it fixed. does anyone know if this can be rebored as it is chrome sleeved and if so who in the south can do it and also at what cost approximately. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Razor you need to start you own thread but........No it cannot be rebored it has to have a steel sleeve installed. To resleeve one usually run around $450 USD.. Cheaper/better to finds a 2.5 block and rebuild.

Hi Faztbullet
Thanks for the reply. I am new to this forum so couldn't find out how to make a new thread. Do you know where I can get a new block as I am in England and they are very hard to find over here. I can arrange for it to be posted as I have family in USA.

Back