Logo

3 HP Gamefisher won't run unless choke is on

code1p36

Regular Contributor
I have a 3 HP Gamefisher that doesn't run for very long without the choke on. I cleaned the carb and fuel filter. It is getting fuel to it and runs very smooth with the choke on when I take it off it will die after several seconds. Any ideas? Also, what is the proper gas mixture because I just read another forum for a 5 HP and they said 24:1? Thanks!

Choke's function is reduce air intake by the motor. Therefore, based on that information, and the statement of the motor only run with choke on, we can conclude the mixture with choke off is too lean, or too much air.

First, you should try to loosen the idle needle to increase the airflow. If this work, it simply mean the motor is out of tune. If this doesn't work, you may have a air leak. Common place of leak includes any gasket used near carb body. crank seals. The way you can test this without fancy equipment is by using starter fluid. With your engine idling, doesn't matter choke on or off, as long as you can get it to idle at constant RPM. Spread starter fluid near any gasket, seal that you suspect is leaking. The motor RPM should not change. If it does, the leak is in the nearby area. Change gasket or seal as needed.

If you cleaned the carb did you set the idle mixture screw correctly? Turn it in until its lightly seated and then back it out 1 1/2 turns. You can then start it and see what happens when it warms up. That might not be the perfect setting, but you can play with it a little once you get it to run with the choke off.

Back