Logo

1984 115hp Johnson Rough Idle - Oil Discharge

Re: 1984 115 Johnson Rough Idle - Oil Discharge

Insalling #2 & #14 bolts..... I assume that the rods are not attached yet so the crank should still spin freely.

The 4 bolts that secure the bearing anchor plate have a self sealing substance on them and are a set length. I strongly suspect that you've simply installed a bolt there that is too long which would cause the end of the bolt to hit the crankshaft.

Loosen the bolt(s) somewhat to check that theory.

I have the correct bolts in there..I was very careful when it came apart...each set of bolts were put in zip locks and labeled as they came out..

I just took the bearing cap and bolts out again, cleaned the surfaces where the bearing sits in the holder and reinstalled..it is somewhat better...I am thinking maybe the bearing was not sitting squarely in the cap? Are you suggesting the crank should spin just as freely with the bolts installed and torqued as without them? (or very close?)

Is it worth taking the pistons out again? What do you think I could find if something is binding up there?

I'm saying that having those end cap crankcase heads (seal/bearing units) installed with the bolts tightened should make no difference in how free the crankshaft turns. It should turn just a free whether the bolts are tight or not.

But with the connecting rods and pistons installed, there is no way you will be able to turn the crankshaft without putting a wrench to it.

ok..

I think I am ok now...I can actually turn it by hand now WITH the bolts in...previously I could not even budge it....It feels better this time around...I dont think I am going to take the pistons out again....its been so long since I built engines I have lost my feel for everything and have no confidence in what I am doing...thanks for the input

Great post..............got me thinking my 1988 88spl has no thermostat........what would the ramifications of that be??

one thing is it would run cool and probably foul up the plugs and have excess carbon throughout...

TStat is simple enough to check/change...

Good News!/BadNews!!/Then Good Again!!

Good news! I'm all back together and running again!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-J3285YKuI

Bad news: The SAME Damn problem was still happening with the filthy, oily mess coming out the exhaust/prop...still a little better but that stuff is REALLY annoying...the plugs were still fouling and it was smoking a bit..

I tried the fuel pump from the '92 100HP junker I got...no luck..SO, I figured it HAD to be something with the fuel delivery system..I checked the bowls of the '92 carbs, they were clean so I bolted them up to my '84...PRESTO! The gunk was gone and it ran good!!! Holy cow it could have been that the whole time! It was not a complete waste tearing it all apart since I did find some water passage blockage, a stuck piston ring in the groove, and some bad exhaust gaskets...its all cleaned up inside and ready for water testing tomorrow!! Will put some video up hopefully! Thanks for all the help from you guys, especially Joe!!

I took those darn carbs apart down as far as I could without an actual carb kit..I even have the jet tool and took all those out! Maybe they need floats and/or needles and seats..who knows...I will worry about those another day...

Carbs Carbs that stuff will kill ya ! Glad you found it you were determined to resolve it..Good job

Thanks...it could have been those darn carbs the whole time...BUT, I am glad I did the "rebuild" anyway...now I know what I am dealing with when I am out there on the water...I know its all good now!!

Here is a video of the first run...we had throttle cable issues and it was a bit choppy for this little boat so its only a short one...will put more on later... It sounded better from the second I started it. This boat screams...still need a new prop...anyone got a nice stainless 13 1/4 17?

I installed the hot foot and will shoot some new video in the next few days...

Thanks everyone for their input...Happy 4th and Boating this summer!

http://www.vimeo.com/13075457

i have a 1984 j115tlcrd 115hp...its starts ok, runs great above 1/2 throttle but smokes like mad at idle/just over idle and runs generally like crap near idle speed. Here's what i know; compression 115ish on all 4 cyl, carbs cleaned out, needle/seat decent-float level good, thermostats seem ok but it actually seems to run cool. (should the heads be warm or hot to the touch? I suspected the vro pump so i disabled it and ran on straight 50:1 but it still does the same thing. There is an excessive amount of grey/milky oil mixture covering the prop and exhaust discharge even with no vro hooked up. I assume this is unburned oil/gas mixture as the plugs seem quite wet when i inspect them.. (pressure tested lower unit - holds 15lbs all day and that oil is clean)..what could be causing it to run so rich? Operating temp not up enough? Fuel delivery problems? I am at a loss...any help greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
dude replace the choke..i just pay a mechanic to diagnose mine,the culprit was the choke stuck on the open setting flooding the cylinders with fuel,the exact same symptoms .

Willie Gonzalez..... This post is going on four (4) years old.... Ignore it.

Best to gain a habit of looking at the date.

Hey bud. I know it's 6 years since you messed with this but I got the identical problem. Did you ever get back to the bad carbs and find out what was up with them so I can try. Let me know please

Wow...I just realized there was a response to this... I never did any more work to it after this...I just used it the way it was...It worked great for the next year I owned it..Sold it to upgrade to a bigger boat... I think I changed the carbs at one point but I really dont even remember... I just chalked it up to "one of those things" and lived happily ever after...

Back