Logo

Gary AUS 1999 7.4 L

gary mobbs

New owner of a 1999 Sea Ray with 7.4MPI. Oil pressure gauge is erratic at constant engine revs. For example if I maintain 2500RPM the gauge moves from 0 to 100 to 170 and back in a minute or less. As the gauge moves up higher the alarm goes off and then cuts out as temp moves down, again in a period of seconds. Some say sender, some gauge. Any ideas?:confused:

Re: Gary AUS

You tried cleaning all the wires ? Connection under the dash to the gauge ? Could be grounding out another wire stripped or touching it ?

I'm confused... re:"Oil pressure gauge is erratic......gauge moves from 0 to 100 to 170"... Your post indicated oil pressure, however, this sounds like the temp gauge?

It's a metric gauge. Sounds like what chiefalen said or the oil pressure sender is worn out.

Sorry, it was the oil temp gauge not pressure. Checked all wiring and is ok. Any other thoughts before I take it to my mechanic?:confused:

Erratic oil temp readings can be a defective sender, poor cooling flow through the cooler, oil passage in cooler blocked...

Back