Logo

454 Operating Temp

salvy

Can someone please let me know what the normal operating temp for a 454 should be. I cought the bought a few years ago, and it's been running around 180 degs. I mentioned it to someone the other night and they thought that it was high. Just need a sanity check from some of you guys with experience.

the FWC "normal" t-stats are 160 deg,F and the raw water ones are 140-143 deg F.

They should idle and warm up no higher than the t-stat setting. They may raise as much as 20 deg depending upon the load on the engines and the temp of the incoming cooling water. Much more than that and its time to get out the IR thermometer.

I can not make a suggestion without more info, but this may help you!

If Raw Water cooled and if in Salt water, your final temp should be in the range of 145*f to avoid salt crystallization of the enigne/manifold internals. Higher temps and crystallization add to the rust scale within the block and heads.
(There should be some good information on this on the Internet or in your OEM manual for raw water cooled engines.)

If Raw Water cooled, and if in Lake/River water only, there is no reason to run the colder stat, IMO.

If you have the Closed Cooling system (aka FWC :rolleyes:) then you can also run the warmer stat. 170*f/180*f final temperature should be ideal!

So my question for salvy would be; which cooling system do you have..... and what type of water are you boating in?

Just my two cents from what I've learned myself! :)

Last edited:
Back