Logo

76 Evinrude 85 horse Firing only on 2 cylinders

Hellrazor

Hello everyone, I have a 1976 Evinrude 85 horse motor, it is in the shop being repaired. The guy at the shop said it is only firing on 2 cylinders, he put a new power pack on but said that it did not help. He now says it is under the flywheel, is he trying to screw me over or is this a common problem? Please help, I need some opinions or suggestions as to what could be the culprit.
Thanks
Razor

There are two timing sensors on the timer base under the flywheel. One sensor fires the starboard bank, the other sensor fires the port bank. It is very likely that your problem could be a flawed timer base.

Your mechanic took the usual proper route in replacing the powerpack first if for no other reason to eliminate that component. I assume that he is going to reinstall your old powerpack and credit back the cost of it to you?

Thank you. I hope he does, this thing has already cost me alot of money. Thanks again for the info, I don't know the first thing about outboard engines. Guess I'll learn more as I continue owning a boat...lol.

Back