Logo

115 ocean pro runs like crap

cceretti

HI all, i have a 115 Johnson that was manufactured in 12/00 with a model number of J115VLSIG. I bought it sight unseen online last fall through an auction site. I traveled the 1500 miles in each direction to get it. It came attached to a boat. Now its time to get it ready. I checked compression. It checked good(i think) at 120-130psi per cylinder. New plugs. It fired up but it runs like a stack of smashed a&&holes. First thing to note is change in altitude. It came from sea level(approx) and now is at 3500ft Above Sea Level. It's just pouring oil out the exhaust. Globs of it. It wont idle and is fussy to start, but i can keep it running(barely) by the throttle linkage when standing beside it. Is the vro shot and sending too much oil causing a rich oil condition causing the stumble and no idle? Also, there is NO air silencer on it. It is necessary? I ordered one this morning just in case it is. The motor appears to be in excellent overall condition but i know that means nothing. I do notice a bit of fuel leaking through the butterfly linkage in the carbs as well. A few drops now and again. Both sides. Im not sure how long this engine sat before i acquired it so its possible that the seals are all shot as well, huh? Does anyone here offer a carb rebuild from home if i ship and pay? I think im going to bypass the vro pump to see if it gets me anywhere. It should only take moments to tell if its the culprit, right? Sorry for the long post. I would appreciate any and all info i could borrow from you folks! Great site and great info here!! Thanks again. I'm also very content in calling someone on the phone who is willing to help that way. I would gratefully compensate for their time via a present in the mail($$$). Cheers all and happy boating!

Also...can someone confirm the proper spark plug for this unit? Im getting conflicting answers all over the web. 2001 ocean pro 115hp J115VLSIC Thanks

Your compressions sound find. You do require an air box for your engine for proper running and you dont want any unwanted objects getting down the throats of the carby's. Sounds like the carby's need to be removed, cleaned out and new carby kits fitted. With the engine running squirt some fuel down the throats of the carby's one at a time. If the motor starts running well when you squirt fuel down a carby that means there is a problem with that carb, if it bogs down and runs worse that carb is working. Correct spark plugs for that engine are champion QL78YC with a 30 thou gap

Back