Logo

225 looses power while accelerating

The acceleration problem is defiantly sorted (TPS changed). But the motor is still not reving past 5200. I think it may be the VTEC but the dealer says it was working at last service on the computer. Is the noise when it kicks in noticeable at 4500? I have a Honda 150 and can hear that when it kicks in The cables are adjusted so that the throttle is a WOT on the throttle body. Thanks for all the help so far and for future help.....

When the VTEC kicks in, there should be no "ticking." Just a slightly noticable change in the tone of the engine because the timing is changing.

I don't recall the previous posts, but I asume you have eliminated the prop as a source of the low RPM's. At WOT are there any misfires from the plugs?

Simple things first. When did you last change the plugs? Have you tested the coils? Have you tested the resistance on the plug wires? Have you tried disconnecting the throttle cable and operate the engine by hand to make sure the throttle cable from the consol is not binding and that your throttle cables on the engine are set up properly, not binding, or have come loose? As an aside - I once had the lock down screw on the throttle cable pully on the top of the engine come loose which lowered the RPM's. It was hard to detect that was the problem until I tried to readjust the cables according to specs. Also, make sure the throttle cables properly run through the bracket on the top of the engine.

Plugs changed quite recently. The throttle pully should be ok as the whole part is new as it came with the fps. When I put the throttle on the dash to full power the throttle on the engine is at the full power stopper ie: butterfly fully open. Prob not a technical term!! How should the cables be adjusted and set up any tips as I don't have a workshop manual?

Hi Chawkman. I think I am being stupid but downloaded the manual and I cannot see anything about adjusting the cables. Do you know which section ?

Well sonofagun - it's not in there any more!!! BUMMER!

Okay - this is from an old post. I hope it helps. I'm at Hatteras and do not have my shop manual with me. Sorry I don't have a picture.

Throttle Control Adjustment
First, with engine off, take off the cover, gently put in gear (do not force it – if much resistance, get someone to turn the prop by hand while slipping it into gear), push throttle full open and inspect whether the throttle lever arm (at the cable cam wheel) is up against the stopper. It should be. If not, before adjusting, pull throttle back to idle speed, put shifter in neutral, and follow the cables to the throttle cam wheel (on top of the engine toward the rear) and make sure they are not damaged or kinked.

At the throttle cam wheel, make sure the adjustment nuts are tight. Measure the distance between the adjustment bracket and the end of the cable adjustment threads. They should be 9 mm on both. If not, adjust.

Back to the throttle cam where the lever is located - measure the length from the end of the threaded part back to the adjustment nut - the open side (to your left as you are facing it) should be 14 mm. The close side (to your right) should be 19mm. If not, adjust.

Put back in gear, and push throttle all the way forward. Throttle arm on the cable cam should be up against the stopper. If not, then you likely have a problem with the cable from your throttle control to your engine, which will need to be adjusted or replaced.

If the throttle arm is up against the stopper, then look at where the roller sits in the throttle cam. It looks like a fat inverted "L". The roller should be almost touching the top of the narrow part of the "L". Then pull the throttle lever at your control all the way back, and put the engine in neutral. The roller should now line up with the "V" mark on the foot of the "L." If not, adjust the linkages until the roller does what it is supposed to do – nearly touch the stopper at full throttle and line up with the "V" mark at minimum throttle.

Great going down to boat later will check the linkage. I think the roller stops a fair bit away for the end of the "L" Is there a stopper that stops it getting right to the end or is it just how the cables are adjusted? W

Sorry I don't have my shop manual with me. I think the stop is somewhare else around the linkage, not on the "L" I should be obvious.

This is where my throttle sits when i push the throttle control to full is that correct? Photo attached

Attachments

• Throttle.jpg
    Throttle.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 83
Can't tell from that picture. At full throttle, iIt should be almost touching the end of cutout and I can't tell if it is, or not.

Its quite far off say about 1cm. I have two other throttle body s and they all stop there. Can you adjust the stop position as that one in the picture is brand new?

The stop position can be adjusted, but I have not done that on my engine, and I don;t have my manual with me. I will next week.

In the meantime maybe one of the Hoda tech's on this forum, or someone with a 200/225 shop manual, can jump in.

Back