Logo

Where is the antifreeze going ?

Well, I know it's been awhile, but I have yet another question. Port Engine, Chrysler 318, been overheating since replacement of manifolds, risers, elbows and all new gaskets. Fully CLOSED FWC system to include CLOSED gasket at manifold to riser interface. Was finally able to stop losing antifreeze, now it appears I have a restricted raw water flow through the system. Have had ALL hoses off in the path, backflushed seacock, tranny cooler, pulled raw water pump to ensure all the impeller blades were in tact, they were, but here's the question. It's a single pocket pump, is it possible to have the inlet/outlets reversed to reduce raw water flow ? It is installed, or should I say oriented exactly the same way as the starboard engine which has no problems. I was told that since it's reverse rotation, I must flip the pump to use the "long pull" side of the pump to move more water.

Thanks in advance !

Mike with his overheated Egg.

Mike, I have the twin pocket pumps on my 318's, port side is flipped compared to the starboard, took 3 spring launches to figure it out

Flip the pump IF your motors are opposite rotation,but it may look the same,look in there and see the impeller vanes and there direction of pull ,mock the PULLEY rotation.(the way it spins when the motors running)

If you have V-drive drives you should look to seeif the passage is clear from debris

Thanks guys, I've come to the conclusion that I've spent an inordinate amount of time and money for a simple problem with the seacock being blocked. Now if only I can confirm it, and thats going to have to wait until I pull the boat for the season. I pulled the hose from the seacock to the raw water pump off, and water ran through it, but not at the velocity I'd expect. Just to make sure, I'll pull the starboard seacock hose to compare the flow which I expect will be more robust.

It's been a long and brutally hot summer, but I have learned a few things about my boat which is ultimately a good thing, just wish it could have been a less expensive experience.

Just for the sake of closing out this long drawn out episode, I'd like to provide the final solution to this problem, that is after changing manifolds, risers, elbows, checking raw water pump impeller, checked all hose connections, losing 10 gallons of antifreeze, replacement of numerous gaskets, boiling out the heat exchanger and lots of knuckle busting. As a result of back-flushing the seacock, it exposed the remnants of a black plastic trash bag which was picked up by the previous owner. Had no idea it was there, was unable to see it through the scoop slots, and it wouldn't have exposed itself at all unless I had backflushed the valve for 40 minutes. At any rate, this episode is now officially over, and I'm looking forward to trouble free cruising this FALL, Happy Boating everyone.

Back