Logo

loosing coolant from heat exchanger 1988 aq 131 d

tom1234

1988 aq131d motor ran hot last year when on plane (did not let overheat) just finished cleaning all of cooling system. started motor and it ran well when i shut it off i noticed anti freeze coming from exhaust (o/d is off the boat) over the next day all of the anti freeze leaked into the exhaust manifold. the heat exchanger is not leaking; new anti freeze added after the thermostat closed remains in the heat exchanger. There is no water in the oil and there is no oil in the water. Blown head gasket ?? Has anyone had this problem if so what was your solution. I started looking at new parts a net head is over 3,000 dollars that is almost what the boat is worth.

Re: loosing coolant from heat exchanger

It may be the head gasket, but it may have ben originated by the raw water hose connector in the outdrive being corroded/perforated, in which case the raw water pump would be sucking air and the engine would overheat.

You can definitely use automotive head gaskets and also an automotive head if yours was damaged beyond repair (auto wreckers have them for very reasonable prices). Search the forum, as we have discussed this topic several times in the past.

Back